Pickled Pork nice way to cook it.

ceejay13, Dec 2, 2:56am
I have a small piece of pickled pork but it is a long time since I cooked some. Any ideas on a nice way to cook it please. Much appreciated.

245sam, Dec 2, 3:31am
ceejay13, this is our favourite way of having pickled pork cooked but I don't use the fruit, just the cider and maple syrup.

Joan Bishop's PICKLED PORK WITH FRUIT AND CIDER
1.8 Kg piece of pickled pork
¼-½ cup maple syrup
750ml cider
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
¾ cup raisins

Preheat crockpot for 20 minutes, trim meat of any excess fat and then put meat in crockpot. Add the maple syrup to the crockpot. Pour the cider into a suitable container and heat in the microwave or in a saucepan until hot. Pour over the meat in the crockpot and turn the meat over in the aromatic liquid to coat. Cover with lid and cook on low/auto for 8-10 hours. If possible turn the meat ½ way through cooking. An 1½ before serving add the apples and raisins cover with lid, continue cooking for the remaining 90 minutes (1½ hours).
Remove meat from crockpot, slice and arrange on a platter spooning the fruit on to the meat.
Lovely served hot or cold. :-))

gunnab1, Dec 2, 5:15am
sounds great

wheelz, Dec 2, 5:26am
Hmm might have to pull the pickled pork out of my freezer for this one! Thanks

petal1955, Dec 2, 7:26am
Pickled Pork in Slow Cooker

Piece of Pickled Pork,
Turn cooker to high to heat up while you prepare meat.
Mix together 2 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard with a little salt and black pepper. Warm in saucepan on low heat.
Lay a large piece of tin foil out put meat in the centre and then
Pour the mix over pork and cover all meat well, Wrap and seal in a tinfoil pocket.
Place the "wrapped" pork on an upturned saucer in the cooker and pour about an inch of water in the bottom.
Turn cooker down to low leave all day, when cooked place still wrapped meat on bench 20minutes to rest.
Slice and serve. lovely hot or cold next day.
Best left in the fridge in foil to marinate overnight after you have put the honey/mustard on it and cook next day.

di18, Dec 2, 9:12pm
Could you do this with pork shoulder?

ceejay13, Dec 2, 9:27pm
Wow great ideas but I don't have a slow cooker or crockpot just the oven top.

mouse265, Dec 2, 11:42pm
Send it here we wll cook it to our satisfaction and test it evencheers

petal1955, Dec 3, 6:42am
Cant see why it wouldnt work with shoulder

petal1955, Dec 3, 6:42am
We do you have a big lidded casserole dish.that would work well.

twindizzy, Dec 3, 7:26am
roast it

valentino, Dec 3, 7:04pm
Finally, esp Pickled Pork.

I simply cover the meat with some foil - tucking in all around the sides, slow cook in oven at 130 to 140c (130 if fan baked) for about 2 to 3 hours (depending on oven and temperature) then remove foil, turn oven up to 180C and finish roasting for another 30 minutes thereabouts, just the right texture and beautiful.

Can rub the meat with your favoured options prior if wish.

vomo2, Dec 4, 2:55am
no time like the present to buy one even if its 2nd hand. You wont regret it, they have so many uses.

karlymouse, Dec 5, 8:10am
Really. I accidentally roasted a piece of picked pork once and the over saltedness made it inedible.

valentino, Dec 5, 8:08pm
Must had got a real salty one.
If another then try a good rinse wash all over with running cold water first then pat dry.

Same with Silverside - do it both ways of slow cooking and slow oven cooking, no problems with them being over-salty, check out where you buy it from or brand name if prepacked.
Let us Know please.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 5, 9:00pm
Oh, I think I need to add this bit to the last post.

In most supermarkets and deli Shops, you can buy sliced cold meats including Pickled Pork and virtually 100% of these Pickle Pork are Oven roasted not Slow cooked in a slow cooker. Think about it please.

Cheers.

karlymouse, Dec 6, 9:38am
So are you saying that pickled pork and corned beef which are listed with instructions for cooking in water are actually wrong and should be roasted. ?

valentino, May 6, 1:04am
No, All I noted was that Pickled Pork is nice Roasted. Oh, I never put Pickled Pork with water in either slow cooker or oven, I may rinse it first under cold running water but never cooked it in water. I like to have that fuller taste and not that watery soggy stuff.

Corned Silverside is also can be done both methods but with a little bit of water and some vinegar - brown sugar-cloves. Water level only about a quarter but turning the meat every hour or so until an hour to go then empty the water completely and continue cooking until ready to serve.

Editing to add this. If you but that Hellabys supermarket stuff then rinse it thoroughly, if from a butcher then very little rinse and very little water or nil is required.

Cheers