Easy pie fillings

ruby19, Mar 14, 4:48am
We use left over casseroles or curries. So end up with chilli and cheese, moroccan beef/lamb, what ever curries we bring home from not eating at dinner out. Palak paneer makes really good pies.
I have made apple pies, from the piemaker recipe book.
Will be time to drag ours out soon :-)

popeye333, Mar 14, 5:04am
Used our family pie maker today. Made MrP a bacon and egg pie. he love it. and I prefer to use the family size one, over the small ones. Far less fluffing around.
And if I want to freeze them I just cut them into half or what ever and freeze. if its not a solid filly I just lean then to the closed part of the pastry to keep the filling in.

angie117, Mar 17, 2:49am
Chelsea Winters Creamy Chicken and Vegetable pies are divine. Takes alot of time to prepare, but makes alot of mixture and well worth it. I always have some in the freezer.

ubuthebirman, Mar 17, 3:36am
angie117 can you plse point me in the right direction for the creamy chicken & vege pie recipe, cant find it on her web site. I have just bought a pie maker yesterday, so practicing with recipes.

harrislucinda, Mar 17, 3:52am
just googled and allrecipe.com had kid friendly chicken pie but found others as well

angie117, Mar 17, 6:59pm
Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Pie
800grms boneless chicken,salt & pepper, 5 gloves garlic finely chopped, 2 carrots chopped into 1cm dice, 250grms button mushrooms sliced, 75grms butter, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/3cup parmesean cheese, 2 -3 sheets pastry, 1 egg, 2 tbsp olive oil, 3/4 cup chopped bacon, 1 leek white part only, 1 tsp fresh thyme, 1 1/2cup chopped spinanch, 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup cream, 2 tsp wholegrain mustard, 1/4 cup milk.

Preheat oven to 180 c fanbake.

Coat chicken in 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with S&P. Place in a baking dish abd bake in oven for 20 mins until cooked. Cool, then shred.
While chicken is cooking, fry bacon, then drain on paper towel. Wipe out pan heat remaining oil add garlic, leek, carrot and thyme and cook for 5 min.Add mushrooms, spinanch and cook for another 5 minutes, until excess liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Return chicken and bacon to pan, mix to combine and turn off heat.

SAUCE
Heat butter in pot over med heat. Stir in flour and cook for4 min. Remove from heat and slowly pour in milk, whisking, then whisk in cream and parmesean, return pot to heat cook stirring for about 5 min or until sauce thickens. Stir in mustard, taste and season with S & P. Add sauce to chicken mixture and mix.
You can make 1 big pie, or smaller ones. It takes a bit of prep time to get everything ready BUT is really woth it. The pies freeze well.

ubuthebirman, Mar 18, 3:24am
Thku angie117 for the above recipe. much appreciated, cause still havent found it!

fifie, Mar 18, 5:50am
Have pre rolled pastry in freezer, when you make a beef, chicken, lamb, stew or your fav dish in slow cooker run your pie maker beside it to use any leftovers for little pies for lunches or freezer. Would work with oven casserole as well.

ubuthebirman, Mar 22, 4:08am
Help have been making my apple pies first with flaky pastry then changed to sweet short pastry from Countdown (own brand) what a disarster! the lids came off when cooked & terrible trouble getting out of the pie maker moulds, seem to be very soft mixture although lid of pie was well good.
Anyone have ideas on the type of pastry or will I just stick to flakey pastry.

bev00, Apr 19, 1:12am
Chilli bean pie is yum.
Line dish with short pastry. Fry off a large chopped onion in 2T butter, then add flour and milk to make a white sauce. Season and add 1c tasty cheese. Add 1c each of frozen peas, corn and beans to the cheese sauce. Combine the drained chilli beans with 1c grated carrot. Layer the chilli bean mix and cheese sauce in the pie shell, starting with the chilli beans. Cover with the pastry top, brush with milk and slash. Bake at 200C for 15 minutes the reduce to 180C for a further 20-30 minutes.
My family are staunch meat eaters, but really love this.

bisloy (189