Fruit mince without grapefruit peel

freckle, Dec 21, 11:02am
Trying to source ready made fruit mince without grapefruit peel or some that doesnt list citrus peel as one of its ingredients. I take medication which means I shouldnt eat grapefruit. Also would be really keen to find store bought fruit cakes without grapefruit as well. Thanks in advance :)

petal1955, Dec 21, 8:32pm
You may have to make your own fruit mince minus the citrus peel

kaddiew, Dec 21, 9:08pm
I too take meds that say to avoid grapefruit, but I apply this to eating whole grapefruit, or the juice, on a regular basis. I personally would not be concerned about a tiny amount of grapefruit peel in something like fruit mince - BUT that's just my 2 cents' worth, and I hope you find a product that suits your requirements.

samsnan, Dec 21, 9:20pm
I think the same as you kaddiew. The little bit you would have wouldnt worry me at all. Eat and enjoy.

freckle, Dec 21, 9:27pm
Thanks everyone :) Just being a bit over cautious probably :) :)

cleggyboy, Dec 22, 1:36am
The reason for avoiding grapefruit or its juice is that it will weaken the strength of the medication, but a tiny bit of peel will not affect it. I also take meds with that warning.

marcs, Dec 22, 2:02am
You can make your own. I marinate mine for 3 days and it is ready. I made too much this year so have enough for next year in the freezer. I don't like the store bought fruit mince.

uli, Dec 22, 6:05am
Ummm - how much of the citrus peel would you actually eat in a cake?

If you do not go overboard I see no reason to worry.

But if you worry - then just make a mix of other dried fruit and use that.

leebee35, Dec 22, 6:44am
Peel is normally made just of oranges & lemons.,. never heard of grapefruit being used.

nauru, Dec 22, 6:55am
My mixed peel was just orange and lemon peel, no grapefruit. I'm always careful to check as I too have a family member who hasn't to have grapefruit because of his meds. Like others, I doubt the small amount you would eat in either cake or mince would cause any harm. Mince is easy to make, just omit the peel if you are concerned. You could also make the 3 ingredient recipe for your Christmas cake using your own chosen fruit mix rather than the ready mixed one.

freckle, Mar 13, 5:19pm
Thanks all for your support and advice, much appreciated :)