Yunnan steampot!

twelve12, Aug 14, 3:07am
I picked up a ceramic steam pot from the op shop today! Mines kind of like this one, glazed on the inside.
http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.co.nz/2011/05/yunnans-steampot-chicken.html

It's so cool! I've made a banana cake in it (because I was going to make one anyway for husband to take to work tomorrow), which turned out really well (except for a bit of mushy top where the steam dripped on it)!

I'm gonna try making a few soups and things over the next few days. Does anyone else use one of these? Any tips or awesome recipes?
I'm excited!

samanya, Aug 14, 5:24am
I'd never heard of them, are they like a tagine or a Romertopf?
I can understand your excitement & do keep us posted as to how it works out

twelve12, Aug 14, 5:29am
You put them directly onto a pot of boiling water.
http://redcook.net/2010/03/09/not-your-grandmothers-chicken-soup/

I didn't seal mine though. I will next time.
We had fish soup from it for dinner. Really good! :D

samanya, Aug 14, 5:37am
OK . I get the gist of it now.
I have a Romertopf that I've seldom used, You've inspired me to try a different cooking method. If I ever see a yunnans steam pot in an op shop I'll know to scoop it up.

twelve12, Aug 14, 5:39am
I didn't know what it was when I first saw it. googled it last night and went back to grab it today. Considering how many asian style soups we eat, it'll be so handy!

I hadn't heard about those Romertopf things. They look like they'd be perfect for baking sourdough in!

uli, Aug 14, 6:10am
I do not think that bread is a good thing in a roemertopf, as it is an unsealed clay pot which gets soaked in water before being put in the oven. Bread will most likely stick somewhat drastic to the wet sides!

twelve12, Aug 14, 6:23am
I've been looking it up since my last post, and apparently they're fantastic! You just have to liberally flour or semolina the bottom.

Which is actually a bad thing, because now I want one.

uli, Aug 14, 8:14am
Lots of second hand shops have them as the German settlers always bring one :)

Also you can buy one at fishpond if you have enough money - (I see they even have glazed ones now - which really defies the idea of the original soaked clay) - and some bread "tins" (or should that be "bread clays"?)

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/c/Kitchen/p/Romertopf

I used to bake amazing bread in a pre-heated Dutch oven. I bought an oval one from TM years ago and would have my bread rising in a banneton, while heating the oven (and the Dutch oven in it) to the max my gas oven does (about 250 to 270 degrees C).

Then get the Dutch oven out, sprinkle some semolina on the bottom, upend the bread dough from the banneton and close the searing hot lid on the dough. Back into the oven and it would triple or more in size and make absolutely fantastic bread. Crusty outside, soft inside - everyone loved it.

twelve12, Aug 14, 9:19am
I'll definitely keep an eye out in the op shops. I do need to get a larger dutch oven. no idea where I'll keep all this stuff, but I'll find a way.

twelve12, Aug 16, 2:53am
YUSS!

Lookit what I found in an op shop this morning! $6!

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/404034252.jpg

kay141, Aug 16, 3:12am
Congratulations. I wish I could find more than junk plastic in our op-shops.

twelve12, Aug 16, 3:16am
I used to LOVE the op shopping when I was in LH!
I found heaps of fantastic stuff. Especially at the Vinnies in Petone

kay141, Aug 16, 3:22am
Vinnies in Petone are in the old ANZ building for the next year, so stock is very limited, not much room. Petone is now full of "antique" shops who do a daily trawl of the op-shops. But I keep looking, just not every day or even every week.

twelve12, Aug 16, 3:30am
That sucks. It was great op shopping when I was living there.
Where's the old ANZ building? That's not the old bank where Murpheys is?

samanya, Aug 16, 6:22am
That looks a damned good buy, is it glazed inside (appears to be) . mine is just earthenware clay (I made it myself from a mold) when I gave pottery a go ;o) . it takes up more water than a partially glazed one. Good luck & do share your recipes.

twelve12, Aug 16, 6:28am
I miss making ceramics. the facilities at uni were awesome, and now I have nothing. Sigh.

But yep, glazed. It's not the traditional one, but more appropriate for bread, which is what I want it for.

pickles7, Aug 16, 10:23pm

kay141, Aug 16, 10:36pm
On the corner next to the Post Shop.

uli, Dec 26, 5:55pm
The same goes for crocks for sauerkraut or making vinegar or for baking sourdough in glazed forms or non-stick baking forms.

In all cases we have acids attacking the glaze or non-stick coating which can release all sorts of unwanted chemicals into your food. In Germany you have labels on certain baking forms that state clearly that these are certified for baking sourdough in them. Others are not. I am lucky to still have blue steel baking forms from my mother and grandmother. Very hard to find now.

African tagine dishes are another area where no-one knows if there is lead in the glaze, so do not use vinegar or wine or tomatoes in such a dish as the acids will react with the glaze.