Recipe for a fresh tasting tomato sauce or chutney

wheelz, Feb 1, 5:27am
Like used in cafés. Without the cooked forever and vinegary taste.
Not like Watties or such.
I am thinking that maybe it isn't a preserve , so is made often or as I would be happy to do. Make and freeze.
Hope this makes sense and even better . someone has a trusted recipe.

wachael1, Feb 1, 7:58am
I use this recipe and love it (although don't use as much sugar).

http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Mums-Tomato-Sauce/?r=2433

wheelz, Feb 1, 8:01am
Thanks. does it taste like fresh tomatoes or preserved?

wachael1, Feb 1, 8:04am
I only use fresh tomatoes so tastes fresh. My kids hate Watties sauce now!

fifie, Feb 1, 8:27am
Always make annabels roasted tomato sauce and bag it in snap lock bags for the freezer. Great in winter for pasta, pizza's, mince dishes, spag bol etc, love the intense flavour of roasting them till almost caramelised.
Edited to add link
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/harvest-tomato-sauce/292

wheelz, Feb 1, 8:34am
Aah that looks promising!
Is it more a sauce for pasta and pizzas . Or would it be suitable as an accompaniment on things like sossies, pastries and hot chips?

245sam, Feb 1, 9:40am
wheelz, maybe you'd like to try this recipe which is from Alison Holst's Food Processor Book.

CHUNKY TOMATO SAUCE
From Alison "If you have fresh tomatoes on hand, you will find that you can make this sauce in a few minutes. This is not a vinegary, sweetened sauce or ketchup, it is a thickened mixture to make and serve straight away, on chops, meatballs, meatloaf, sausages, rice, noodles or spaghetti, etc.”

For 6 servings:
1-2 tbsp butter
500g tomatoes, quartered
1 large parsley sprig
½ tsp basil
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp each of celery salt and onion or garlic salt
1 tbsp cornflour

Melt the butter, using more or less according to your preference, in a medium-sized saucepan. Put remaining ingredients in the food processor bowl, in the order given. Process with the metal chopping blade using the on-off method, until the tomato and parsley are cut into smaller pieces. DO NOT OVERPROCESS. You will find that the tomatoes are chopped very fast. Tip mixture from the food processor bowl into the saucepan with the butter. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
Serve immediately if you want the pieces of tomato to stay fairly firm. :-))

fifie, Apr 4, 6:51pm
Dont see why it couldnt be used for those things, must try with hot chips etc. I like it cause its full of flavour, ive made other recipes but some can be quite bland, Alison Holsts should be okay as well, i know her Tom soup recipe is yum, i usually throw a bag of my sauce in it to lol.