Asparagus.

Page 1 / 2
sampa, Sep 14, 1:23am
Anyone seen any new season stuff in the shops or markets yet? Or is it too early still? Hanging out for fresh asparagus and not seeing any so far.

kay141, Sep 14, 1:25am
I'm keeping a special watch and there was none at the market yesterday.

raj62, Sep 14, 3:00am
New seasons was in Raeward Fresh Chch this week

sampa, Sep 14, 9:53pm
Thanks, well at least we know it's here in NZ somewhere. not all died off due to the weird weather conditions of late! Hopefully will make its way to AK soon along with a few other Spring like produce to liven things up a bit.

whitehead., Sep 15, 2:51am
when cooking asparagus try putting a nob of butter in the water rather than bathing it in butter you get the butter taste with all the fat tastes yumm

sampa, Sep 15, 5:17am
Thanks for the tip whitehead - now if I only had some asparagus to try it out on.

nabbed, Sep 15, 6:02am
none up in the garden yet, had a close look yesterday

samanya, Sep 15, 6:09am
So did I & not a sign of growth, which is not surprising after the winter we've had.
I was talking to a client who is a commercial grower here & she reckoned the season is going to be quite a bit later in Canterbury.
My bed is up to year #4, so after a long wait only cutting a few spears (most of them I ate raw as I wandered around) I'm hoping for a good crop this year & just hope the drought didn't have to much of an effect . even though I tried to keep the water up to it last summer.
Oh yummy, can't wait & I'll buy it if i have to!

snapperheadrkp, Sep 15, 7:02am
Purchased new season (not imported) asparagus last Friday $8.99 kg!

samanya, Sep 15, 7:10am
It's a bit like whitebait or oysters though, huh?
Pay through the nose for a taste.

kay141, Sep 15, 7:14am
Hmm, think I may wait for a while, then get them at the market for about $1 per bunch.

samanya, Sep 15, 7:27am
I've never seen it here for a $1 a bunch . lucky you!
Best I've seen is around the $3.00 mark & I'd still pay that to savour the taste. Love the stuff.

kay141, Sep 15, 7:31am
Last year, we were buying it at 3 bundles for $2.50 in the peak of the season. One for the granddaughter and two for me. No middleman makes the difference. We were buying it every week. With two bundles a week, I peed green for a while but it was worth it.

sampa, Sep 15, 9:09am
Tis good for you. traditional Spring Tonic, helps flush all the bad stuff through the kidneys.

Spring Cleaning at its finest and tastiest. :)

samanya, Sep 15, 9:45am
Absolutely worth green pee!

parsondian, Sep 15, 10:47am
Moore Wilson had it in last week but none around this week. very expensive $30 a kilo, snow peas at $45 a kilo, and chilies over $100 per kilo. whoa

samanya, Sep 15, 10:51am
Holy Moly!
Sure you haven't misplaced the decimal points?

sampa, Sep 15, 11:47am
Really? Have chillies (on vine/bush) that have over wintered. willing to sell at that price! Any takers? $$$ - or will trade for fresh asparagus. ;-)

parsondian, Sep 16, 3:51am
No regular fresh chillies. Summer/autumn can find down to $20.00 a kilo. Probably at the highest right now, seasonal and all.

kay141, Sep 16, 3:53am
Not me, can't eat chillies.

sampa, Sep 16, 5:21am
Worth a try.

kay141, Sep 16, 5:31am
True but the asparagus may have been a bit limp by the time you got it.

chooky, Sep 17, 11:48am
Was in my garden this morning and I have a couple of spears about an inch long, a friend of mine is eating there's already.

taldon, Sep 27, 12:42pm
I have been given some that was sent down from Otaki and oh myyyyyy I cant wait to eat it

sampa, Sep 28, 1:16am
I just missed it with my Countdown order for last week but have it on there for this week and may sneak a bunch in before then too if I can lay hands on the Green Gold of Spring. :)

Came across a great looking (and simple) recipe for scallops laying on a bed of asparagus the other day. can not wait to make that!