Did anybody keep

retired, Jul 9, 7:39pm
a copy, think it was from an Anchor Card Series, of a light fruit cake. You made a custard and it went into the mixture when cold? Also think it had several different essences in it. I would be extremely grateful for a copy, mine has completely disappeared!

245sam, Jul 9, 9:58pm
retired, I'm not sure if the following is exactly the recipe you're wanting but I'll share anyway, this recipe that was shared by a friend and fellow Club Member after she had used the recipe to make our Club's Christmas Cake. It was a few years ago now and from what I can recall it was a lovely cake but not IMO a "light fruit cake"

CUSTARD FRUIT CAKE
1 large cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
½ tsp each of cinnamon, curry powder and mixed spice
225g butter
1·2 Kg mixed dried fruit
1½ tbsp blackcurrant jam
1 tsp baking soda
essences to taste

Bring the milk to the boil, then add the beaten eggs and stir until thick. Leave aside until cold. Blend the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, curry powder and mixed spice, then rub in the butter.
To the cooled custard add the dried fruit, jam , baking soda and essences.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (or jam pan) then spoon into well lined 20cm cake tin. Make sure top is level, do not hollow out centre.
Bake at 140°C-160°C for 2½ - 3 hours. Leave in tin for 24 hours (If the temperature is too low, the cake sinks and is soggy); (If the temperature is too low, the cake sinks and is soggy).

IMO omitting the blackcurrant jam would help to lighten the colour of the cake if you really do want a "light fruit cake". :-))

retired, Jul 10, 6:18am
Thank you 245sam not the one I had and I really would love to find it again. Never know someone kept it from the dim distant past! Here's hoping.

petal1955, Jul 10, 6:22am
CUSTARD FRUIT CAKE

250g (1/2 lb) butter
250g (1/2 lb) sugar-white
3 eggs
2 good teaspoons (1 dessertspoon) custard powder
315g (10 ounces) plain flour
500g (1 lb) mixed fruit
1 teaspoon baking powder
vanilla and lemon essence or sherry- about a teaspoon of each
1 teaspoon mixed spice

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder, mixed fruit, spice and essences.
**Combine custard powder with 3/4 cup of boiling water. Cool.**
Add to mixture last.
Prepare tin as for above recipe (3 layers paper) and bake in a moderate oven for 3/4 to one hour.

retired, Mar 26, 2:05am
Petal1955 thank you so very much.