Breakfast for Chinese guests?

peterg1, Feb 15, 7:13am
Can someone help me with a suitable breakfast for Chinese guests please. I understand that noodles are acceptable but don't know where to start apart from the 2 minute variety.Need to do something easy but better than instant. Thank you.

kindajojo, Feb 15, 7:32am
Why not just whatever you normally have. if they wanted a Chinese breakfast they could have stayed at home . maybe they are here to try a change.

lilyfield, Feb 15, 7:41am
They love joghurt.

kmcconnell, Feb 15, 7:57am
We have just had two Chinese people stay with us for two weeks and all they wanted was a hard boiled egg, and a ham sandwich. Wasn't over fussed with weetbix etc They also ate croissants as well, or toast with honey and some mornings all they wanted was cookies :) Have fun

ilovefifi, Feb 15, 8:15am
My Chinese friend used to make a savoury rice porridge for breakfast using dried mushrooms. Here is a similar recipe.
http://noshon.it/recipes/chinese-congee-rice-porridge/

I do think that kindajojo has a point - nothing like a good old kiwi brekky in my opinion :)

Am sure you will all have fun eating both Chinese and NZ food!

hestia, Feb 15, 8:35am
Something bread based would be okay. Perhaps not cereal. Some Chinese people do not consume milk or any other milk products.

peterg1, Feb 15, 9:30am
Thanks, but this is an ongoing situation for tourists who are craving something from home after weeks of eating western food. We offer yoghurt, fruit etc now but often get asked if we do noodles.

fifie, Feb 15, 10:04am
Sounds like students i had i pay i want chinese breakfast as they didnt like kiwi breakys much, and which they didnt get.You could make a noodle dish in a wok if you feel confident cooking for them, wouldnt take long, google chinese breakfast noodles for ideas.

mjhdeal, Feb 15, 6:57pm
I reckon give them whatever you usually have.

Alternatively: when I was in Korea (yes, I know not the same as China, but. ), breakfast was the same as any other meal - rice, vegetables, meat, soup. Give them dinner left-overs!

valentino, Feb 15, 7:39pm
Chinese loves this; in one small pan boil a bundle of thin noodles (a packet has about 6 bundles), in another pan a dash of sesame oil and olive oil add some tomatoes (2 or 3) quartered then cut into halves as chunks lightly fried in pan for about 3 to 4 minutes then add an egg and break it into the tomato and cook through. When tomato - egg is cooked, add the drained noodles and mix through and serve.

raloki, Feb 15, 7:51pm
This is a lovely recipe, and fairly quick to make.

RECIPE FOR EGG & TOMATO SOUP 西红柿鸡蛋汤

The Kiwese take on a classic Chinese breakfast; egg and tomato soup, xīhóngshì jīdàn tāng 西红柿鸡蛋汤 ! Easy and tasty way to kick off the day with eggs, vegetables and warmth.

This recipe serves one person, just double it for two, etc.

Add whatever green veges you like.
Eggs
Tomato
Garlic cloves
Salt
Spring onion
Vegetable stock or OXO vegetable or chicken stock cube
Water
Spinach
Ginger (optional)
Sichuan Spice chilli oil (optional) (but vital, really!)

Preparation and cooking time: 8 minutes

Add chopped garlic and tomatoes to a hot saucepan with cooking oil. Fry till fragrant. (finely grated ginger if you want, too)
Dissolve an OXO cube in a cup of hot water. Add to the saucepan.
Add salt. Bring to the boil and down again.
Beat two eggs in a bowl and slowly pour into the soup while stirring, to create a poached/scrambled texture.
Add the chopped spinach or whatever greens.
Immediately serve.
Top with spring onions and a spoon of Sichuan Spice chilli oil.
Eat and be merry!
Super easy! The classic Chinese soup does not usually include other vegetables, but if you’ve got ‘em why not jazz it up. I’ve used celery, bok choy, sprouts, kale and broccoli (chopped up small for quick cooking) and they’ve all been great.

Enjoy! 吃吃吃!

sampa, Feb 15, 8:03pm
To give you an an overview and a take on Westerners spending time in China eating everyday Chinese food have a look at this (ignore the first couple of pics. not breakie foods! )

http://etramping.com/what-the-heck-are-chinese-eating-for-breakfast/

Maybe you could google the recipe for congee and stock some non dairy soy milk products (there are long life ones that could be stored until required. It might also be a good idea to ask one of the guests (or even a few of them) to provide recipes for popular but straightforward sounding dishes like the beef noodle soup mentioned. NB - noodles come in an amazing variety, even from our normal shopping places such as Countdown. Most of these will store well for months so can be used on a needs be basis when you have guests looking for this type of food. If it helps just think of it as a different spin on breakfast cereals. savoury rather than sweetened.

hestia, Feb 15, 11:45pm

hestia, Feb 15, 11:47pm
Macaroni soup with pork, dried shrimp and cha choi

20 g dried shrimp
100 g small macaroni
1 small piece of cha choi (Sichuan preserved vegetable)
150 g slightly fatty pork
20 ml soy sauce
20 ml rice wine
5 ml cooking oil
1/4 tsp sugar
dash of ground white pepper
sesame oil
spring onion, minced

Soak the dried shrimp in 200 ml of warm water for 15 minutes. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, add the macaroni and cook until tender (for this soup, you want the noodles cooked softer than al dente).

While the noodles are cooking, slice the pork against the grain into thin strips. Marinate the meat in the soy sauce, rice wine, oil, sugar and white pepper. Rinse the red coating off the cha choi and cut into thin strips.

Put the shrimp and soaking liquid into a small soup pan. Add 500 ml of water to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the cha choi and simmer for a few minutes then stir in the pork and cook until it loses its pink colour. Drain the macaroni, add it to the pan and simmer briefly. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Ladle into bowls, drizzle with sesame oil and top with minced spring onion.

Macaroni in soup is a dish served in eateries for breakfast all over Hong Kong. If your guests prefer noodles then replace the macaroni with noodles. If you cannot get dried shrimp or cha choi then just leave them out.

peterg1, Feb 16, 6:52am
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try them out!

craftee, Feb 12, 8:07am
Probably too late to offer advice. But I'm half chinese and I love bacon and eggs on toast or in a croissant if you want to make it fancy ;) I've had lots of relatives come stay and they are not hard to feed at all. They love fresh stuff - and any thing that has health benefits (real or rumoured haha). Other suitable breakfast things would be fruit salad, yoghurt, blueberry pancakes any thing you'd like really. If it's a one off breakfast and you are wanting it to be special I'd make a few different things. Variety is always interesting but make stuff that you like to eat as well as it's really important in chinese culture to share what you love - it's what makes the experience enjoyable :)