Mince on Toast, Topp Twins recipe, it was supposed

white_elephant, Oct 19, 5:53am
to be on the National Radio website but I can't find it, did anyone get it live from the radio today? Thanks

rainrain1, Oct 19, 6:22am

white_elephant, Oct 19, 7:19am
Thanks for that rainrain. Interestingly when they were talking about the recipe on the radio today they said they never add carrots because it makes the mince too sweet. It was parsnip I had never thought of adding to mine.

rainrain1, Oct 19, 7:48am
Parsnip is nice in an Irish stew made with mutton neck chops

awoftam, Oct 19, 7:56am
When I was a kid I hated parsnip with a passion. I have started to use it again (a million years later) and really like it. Has a taste all its own and I adore it roasted with cauli, broc (and whatever else I have in the fridge) with a nice mellow olive oil and some maldon salt. I brought some lamb neck chops the other day and will be stewing them this week - with parsnip added now you mention it.

white_elephant, Oct 19, 8:20am
When I was a child I liked the smell of parsnip so much that when it was on the menu my mother cut the top off, tied it with string and I wore it around my neck. I was an unusual kid!

petal1955, Oct 19, 2:57pm
May have to wait a couple of days till its posted on Radio National recipes

lythande1, Oct 19, 6:16pm
So does onion.
All those kind of veges are sweet.
But stock and soy sauce tones that down.

rainrain1, Oct 19, 7:31pm
You wouldn't want to add too much parsnip to your stew or mince as it has a strong flavour, just a handful of chopped pieces

karlymouse, Oct 20, 1:22am
To me parsnip has an almost coconut flavour. I don't like mince anyway but can eat it if its done very well, best quality mince, onion, carrot and cooked long with no dry lumps.

uli, Oct 20, 2:42am
What is "best quality mince"?

awoftam, Oct 20, 5:05am
Bwahahaaaaaaa that's hilarious!

anne1955, Aug 22, 7:09pm
Your right there 'best quality mince' lol I know when I pay top dollars for "best quality mince" the cat will at it. I know when I buy "Best quality mince" on special the cat turns her noise up and walks off. Maybe we should be able to take cat or dog to supermarkets for taste tests. :)

Funny another thing happened today and I was thinking of eating some for my tea. For some reason my very fussy cat (my fault and cope with that) has recently taken to eating lambs fry, she use to get odd piece as a treat when I was having it. More recently I have been giving it to here due to financial reasons. I brought some yesterday and there was no small pieces so I thought ok I'll have it as well. Cut some this morning for her food, she turned her noise up and won't touch it. Same place I buy it from but even as I brought it I too was iffy for some reason, so it's no longer on my diner menu. I already go very sick a couple of weeks back from chicken from the same place. And I have a cast iron stomach, yes I took packing back to took off me very quickly never filled any form out and said he'd get back to me. Seen him twice since not saying a word. He did say at the time "It would be the chicken people get odd things in their about chicken being causes of any sickness. And all his chicken came from Tegal and it was that full of water it wouldn't go off!" I thought at the time bet Tegal wouldn't like that comment :) And I have eaten some very dodgey food over the years lots of out of date well past it granted not normally meat, and never got ill. If I could be bothered getting sick tonight might have been tempted to cook and eat some tonight :) just to see. But sadly the only place in a 22km we can get meat and petrol and financial reasons I haven't been able to stock up in the city recently.