Homemade vegan gift recipes

frances1266, Dec 6, 7:15pm
Would like to try and make some homemade vegan gifts i.e.truffles etc. Anyone have any recipes please.

245sam, Dec 6, 9:53pm
frances1266, have a look at:-

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/chocolate-bliss-balls.html

I/we are not vegans, nor have I tried the recipe on that link but I hope it helps you. :-))

jbsouthland, Dec 7, 6:59pm
Annabel Langbeins latest book Through The Seasons has this delightful recipe ( not sure if it has yet been shown on her TV programme )

They are made into rolls

Walnut Pastila

2 cups of pitted dates , coarsely chopped
1 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup Honey
finely grated zest of one orange
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups walnut pieces, pistachios or toasted skinned hazlenuts ,
1/4 cup desiccated or thread coconut

Place prunes, sugar, honey and orange zest and juice in a pot and bring to a boil .
Cook stirring , over a medium heat umtil the prunes are soft and the mixture comes together into a paste ( about 10 mins) To check whether its ready , place a small spoonful in a bowl of iced water or in the fridge for a few minutes - it is ready when firm enough to be moulded , like toffee to soft - ball stage .
Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts.

Divide coconut between two pieces of baking paper. When the mixture is cool enough to handle , divide it in half and form 2 evenly shaped logs, each about 30 cm long.Roll in the coconut to coat , then roll up in baking paper and refrigerate until set. Slice thinly to serve .
Pastila keeps for a couple of months in a sealed container in the fridge or can be frozen.

sampa, Dec 7, 7:52pm
You might find some inspiration here although it's an American site so not sure how readily all ingredients will be in NZ but maybe things could be 'tweaked' if need be.

http://www.wholeyum.com/top-10-home-made-christmas-food-gift-ideas/

mumstu, Dec 8, 3:58am
Head to www.rawatarian.com or www.petitekitchen.com fantastic stuff there.

punkinthefirst, Dec 8, 4:34am
Spiced nuts in a fancy jar.
Fudge or any other sweets (but without cows' milk or butter)
Home made chocolates with flavoured fondant centres.

motorbo, Dec 8, 6:01am
I used to make bliss balls and I never had a recipe I did it to touch and taste, and I used raisins - before everyone was making them I discovered ani phyo on youtube and that's how it started lol. if you want to try it .I will try to give an estimate of quantities . I used my food processer and started with almond flakes (2 small pkts) so I could make them into almond meal easily, then I added the raisins (1 1/2 to 2 cups), coconut thread or desiccated (1 cup), a drop of vanilla, cacao powder (2 tablespoons), peanut or almond butter.(2-3 tablespoons). blend and check you want a consistency that will form a ball and be a wee bit tacky, then you roll in coconut and keep in container in the fridge

uli, Apr 30, 7:13pm
bump for the vegan Xmas recipies