Lemon Meringue Pie

korban, Oct 3, 8:12pm
Do you have a failsafe recipe please?

I would like to make one for tea on Sunday.

Thanks

cmjbp, Oct 3, 8:13pm
The only failsafe way I have ever had one is to get my Mum to make it lol

sampa, Oct 3, 8:27pm
Ditto - except for me it was MIL. Couldn't compete, gave up trying.

kiwitrish, Oct 3, 8:43pm
This is the recipe I have been making for donkeys years.
Lemon Meringue Pie
100 g (4 oz) Short Pastry
FILLING:
2 medium eggs, separated
225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
1 lemon, juice and grated rind
150 ml (¼ pint) boiling water
25 g (1 oz) cornflour
1 Heat oven to 190ºC, 375ºF, Gas Mark 5. Line an 18 cm (7 inch) flan tin with the pastry and bake blind.
2 Reduce heat of oven to 150ºC, 300ºF, Gas Mark 2. Place egg yolks with 100 g (4 oz) sugar, lemon juice, grated rind and boiling water in a saucepan and mix well.
3 Blend cornflour with a little cold water and add to the lemon mixture. Bring to the boil and pour into the baked flan case.
4 Whisk egg whites stiffly and gradually beat in remaining sugar. Spread over the flan and bake for about 25 minutes until crisp and pale golden brown.

mooshiesmum, Oct 3, 9:53pm
I made this one the other day from my girlfriend. It did weep a little but I think that is more technique than the recipe! Honestly it tasted gorgeous so what's a little weeping amongst friends! lol I have always wanted to make one but thought it too hard.

When you google why does my lemon meringue pie weep there are so many theories and things written on it! Put filling on hot, put it in cold, put the meringue on straight away - wait till cold! I would love to know what method you use with the filling and meringue.

Anyway - this is my first effort - almost looks the part and tasted great!

http://justamumnz.com/2014/09/30/lemon-meringue-pie/

sampa, Oct 3, 10:00pm
Looks good enough to me mooshiesmum that I'd pay you to make one for me and then pass it off to hubby as my own. polishes halo and attempts to look innocent. ;-)

smoff79, Oct 3, 10:07pm
I make this and works every time. I find it best to do the pastry day before

depends which bit is weeping the filling or the top. the top is to do with the sugar I think there is something you add to make it not weep and filling you need to make sure it is done to a thick filling I let mine cool a bit then add and cool then add the top.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3482/ultimate-lemon-meringue-pie

mooshiesmum, Oct 4, 2:55am
Good tips Smoff - I think it might be cornflour you add to the meringue - but ahh well I will just make it for my family who are used to a bit of weeping from me! lol

bev00, Oct 5, 10:27am
Wendalls might see this and post her scrumptious microwave one.

wendalls, Oct 5, 11:23am
I do a microwave one which has never failed. Very quick to make too.the base is a biscuit crumb one. Is from an old cookbook by Glenys Raffils. The only negative is that the meringue comes away from the edges so it doesn't look so perfect. Scrumptious tho.

daarhn, Oct 5, 6:45pm
I've used the Chelsea Lemon Slice recipe (link below) and make my own meringue topping. Base in the food processor, then curd in the food processor and whisked whites in a bowl. Easy peasy with minimal clean up.

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/chelsea-lemon-slice/

pooks3, Oct 5, 9:56pm
I use the Edmonds recipe it never fails on me, I also like to pipe the meringue on the top so it looks pretty.

griffo4, Oct 6, 5:56am
Wendalls would you mind sharing the recipe please?

eljayv, Sep 15, 8:59am
I put a little gelatine in the filling so I can cut clean slices.