Do you put minced raw

rainrain1, May 22, 10:10pm
onion in your shepherds pie?
With already cooked leftover meat that is

m.pat, May 22, 10:24pm
i fry mine in a little oil first . good luck

fifie, May 23, 1:08am
I do with farmkill beef/hogget/mutton etc, Don't use mince often if i do brown onion carrot etc with that first.

bedazzledjewels, May 23, 1:10am
No, I soften it in a pan first. And it takes quite a while to do it properly. Nothing worse than crunching on nearly raw onion.

rainrain1, May 23, 2:04am
Yea, that's what I do too, I was talking about it to a family member today, and she does the same, we like the flavour the raw onion gives. I never make shepherds pie with raw meat, but I would brown the onion first if I did. Just curious to read what others do.

biggles45, May 23, 2:24am
I brown the onion first too, and add about a clove of garlic to the pan while the onion is browning.

beaker59, May 23, 3:07am
I use raw onion finely diced with shepards pie as our family do like some raw onion flavours. I also use it in rissoles meat balls etc for the same reason I realise not everyone does so if I am cooking for guests then I will sweat onions off a little at least. Same with Garlic. But then we eat allot of raw onion stronger the better in things like salads coleslaw etc. Will even serve raw sliced onion and tomato with vinegar as a side salad this always goes first and sometimes I have to make fresh halfway through serving with large family dinners.

esther-anne, May 23, 4:26am
Yes we love onion raw too - I make the same onion and tomato salad or onion and cucumber salad with vinegar. I use it raw in meat patties and meatballs etc made from scratch but if I were adding it into left over meat I think then I would sauté it gently first.

My Lancashire family always had sliced raw onion rings, sprinkled with a little salt and sugar and then plenty of vinegar with hot roast beef and Yorkshire Pud - yummy. I still always do it and though some guests have thought it quaint they usually end up loving the tartness of the onion with the beef and gravy! Now I'm hungry.

fifie, May 23, 4:44am
yep we like the flavour to, even better with a layer of mashed southland swede under the mashed potato topping, good winter comfort food.

rainrain1, May 23, 4:49am
No swede under the spud thanks, for me that would spoil a good thing, maybe cooked separate for the man

fishplants, May 23, 5:29am
If I have cooked meat I would never make it into shepherds pie. That is so much better with fresh mince.

I would slice it finely if it was a roast and set aside - then fry onions, add mushrooms, red wine, lots of herbs and add any leftovers from the roast liquid and then add the slices to just warm up, serve with rice, or pasta, or potatoes and any veges you like. If to liquid add some flour to thicken, can also add some cream. Enjoy

sarahb5, May 23, 6:12am
No, I fry it off until soft and starting to caramelise, then I add the minced meat to the pan and then add gravy, sauce, seasoning, etc.

sarahb5, May 23, 7:55am
Yes definitely at least soften the onions first - and don't like it made with fresh mince, doesn't have the right flavour for me - too bland

sarahb5, May 23, 8:05am
Omg another year old thread - who is bumping?

timturtle, May 23, 8:17am
I make it with left over roast meat, throw that in the kitchen whizz add raw onion and blitz. Then build the shepards pie with left over gravy Worcester and Tom sauce etc

buzzy110, May 24, 1:41am
In the summer I make a raw onion, tomato and cucumber salad. However, it is an old Polish recipe and salt and vinegar are involved so not quite as you'd expect. I make the biggest bowl I can so we can have it over several days.

buzzy110, May 24, 1:46am
I don't make shepherd's pie but if I did I'd saute the onion first because that brings out the flavours, along with the mushrooms, celery, leeks, garlic, capsicum and any spices. The French always saute vegetables and brown meat first and if it is good enough for them then it is good enough for me I suppose.

When I was younger and my taste buds and sense of smell were sharper I hated the taste and smell of dishes made where the saute and browning steps had been omitted.

biddy6, May 24, 6:56am
Most definitely raw. We love the old fashioned shepherds pie of cold hogget, raw onion, watties tomato sauce p & s topped with mashed tattie dotted with butter - served with fresh white bread & butter.

sarahb5, Jul 10, 6:47pm
That's your old fashioned recipe but not everyone follows the same recipe - mine uses sautéed onion and carrots with Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup and some if the gravy with the minced leftover roast meat. Have never served with bread and butter either.