Reduced cream onion dip - how long?

kirmag, Oct 18, 10:31pm
How long does it last? Made one last Sunday been sitting in the fridge untouched. Still ok to eat, or best to chuck it out?

uli, Oct 18, 10:33pm
Depends how clean you worked really and how quickly it was refrigerated. hard to tell from a distance. How does it smell?

rainrain1, Oct 18, 10:53pm
Dip your little pinky in, and have a taste

kirmag, Oct 18, 10:59pm
Smells fine, a clean making experience ( ?lol), in the fridge straight away.

A lil vinegar pooled on top of it. but will dip my pinky n see how it tastes.

Thanks.

uli, Oct 19, 2:31am
Well - that pretty much sums it up what I said above "depends how clean you were working".

If you dip your fingers in you will introduce millions of germs which will turn anything bad in a week even if in the fridge.

However now as it is only to be decided if you eat it or not it doesn't matter.

However if you make anything and want it to keep for a few days then you need a few little spoons to taste test and each one after it had been in your mouth then goes straight to the sink or dish washer - NOT back into the food you are making.

Basic microbiology - but not taught in schools anymore! Sad really!

rarogal, Oct 19, 10:25pm
Goodness me, double dipping is taught in our household and my children's and grandchildren's!

rainrain1, Oct 19, 10:36pm
:) I have a finger in a few pies

kirmag, Oct 19, 11:05pm
My finger dipping has built up my immunity - so all good. I've survived 33 years, I can survive a few more with double dipping and sticking fingers in.

Also - has anyone seen that sign that says "Dog hair is a condiment in this house" or cat fur. yeh, I need one of those.

uli, Oct 19, 11:22pm
Well I am glad that you seemingly have survived the week old dip - did you eat it in the end?

kirmag, Oct 19, 11:27pm
Yep, survived eating it. No funny tummy this morning or yest. Have washed away the leftovers now though, didn't get through much.

whitehead., Aug 23, 6:45pm
when i have it left over i add grated cheese and with a fresh white loaf spread the mix on the bread and roll up then bake in the oven till crisp these with freeze if needed but i find a couple are great for lunch