Lemon Slice Recipe

mflight, Oct 23, 5:34am
Does anyone have a nice cooked lemon slice recipe they can share please.

rainrain1, Oct 23, 6:10am
Here's one. I've not tried it though

Zesty Lemon Slice

Base
2/3 cup butter cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 teaspoon salt

Topping
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line a sponge roll pan with baking paper. Put all the base ingredients into a food processor and process until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Press firmly into roll pan and pop this into freezer for a half hour to firm up. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden.

Topping
Mix the sugar, eggs and flour. Stir in the lemon juice, milk and salt. Pour onto crust and bake for about 20 minutes until set but not browned. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

mooshiesmum, Oct 23, 6:19am

mooshiesmum, Oct 23, 6:20am
That looks nice rain rain - where is that one from?

griffo4, Oct 23, 8:01am
l have been adding lemon zest to the bases of all lemon slices l make and it gives it a bit more of a zing

rainrain1, Oct 23, 6:38pm
It was attached to a newsletter, I might make it today if I have some lemons here

rainrain1, Oct 23, 10:29pm
2/3 cup butter = 4ozs

rainrain1, Oct 23, 11:57pm
I made this today, it took longer to cook than the recipe states, 25minutes at least in a moderate oven, and needs to be firm in centre to touch. I haven't time to taste right now, but it looks really interesting, can't wait!

rainrain1, Oct 24, 4:20am
Result. Sweet, sickly, and I won't be making it again, and probably will toss this out lol

nauru, Oct 24, 8:57am
I reckon it would be sweet too, quite a lot of sugar, 2½ cups in total.

griffo4, Oct 24, 8:08pm
Here is one from Marc's, l think, it is nice but you could cut the sugar back if you want
l have made it and it is nice but l do have a sweet tooth

Tangy Lemon slice
Line a 32 x 24 cm pan.
Base:
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
180g cold, unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons iced water
Lemon topping:
6 eggs
3 cups castor sugar (I prefer 2 1/2 cups as find it too sweet)
grated rind of 3 lemons
1 cup stained lemon juice
1/2 cup plain flour (make sure you sift it to avoid lumps)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C; lightly butter a baking dish and line it with paper.
The base is like a shortcrust pastry.
Put the flour, icing sugar and lemon rind in a food processor and pulse to mix evenly.
Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the mix, pulsing until the mixture has the texture of breadcrumbs. Trickle in just a little water, and process the pastry until it just forms into a dough ball. Press the pastry dough into the baking dish - I used the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
Bake the base for about 15 minutes, or until the edges starts to colour.
Cool for 5 minutes before pouring the filling.
Turn the oven down to 150 degrees C.
Whisk (I use my stand mixer with the whisk attachment) together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl till mixed well, then the lemon juice and rind, still whisking.
Sift in the flour and whisk again. Pour over the filling and return the slice to the oven, this time for 35-40 minutes until the topping is set.
Store it in the refrigerator - you can cut it most neatly while it's cold, though I think it tastes most pleasant at room temperature.

tomemma, Oct 25, 2:07am
Have made your lemon brownie and it is seriously delicious. It has become one of my mother's favourite things and she requests it all the time - thanks

mooshiesmum, Oct 26, 4:37am
Thank you so much for letting me know tomemma, I am so glad you and your mother like it - it is delicious! Have you tried the Lemon & Coconut Slice that is lovely too :-)

ljayl, Oct 26, 9:07pm
This recipe was on Good Morning a while ago and it is devine . has become a favourite :)
Helen Jacksons Lemon Slice
For more, visit Food Lovers.

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
100 g cold butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk

Topping
100 g butter
Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven to 180 C with rack just below the middle. Line the base of a 28 x 20cm slice tin with baking paper.

Sift the flour and sugar into a bowl, grate in the chilled butter and then rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles rough crumbs.

Make a well in the centre and add the lightly beaten egg. Add just enough milk to form a crumbly dough.

Press half this over bottom of the tin, keeping the rest to crumble on top.

For the filling, melt the butter in a small saucepan, remove from the heat and beat in the grated lemon rind and juice, sugar and eggs. Heat again stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the first bubbles form.

Pour the lemon mixture evenly over the base and crumble remaining dough mixture on top.

Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.

When cool, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.

lynja, Oct 27, 3:29am
rainrain I made the slice yesterday. I did cut the sugar down a bit (2 x 3/4 cups rather than the 2 full cups) and I also found it hard to judge the butter and added what I thought was enough to give a crumble texture. It is delicious! Crisp bottom and lovely tart top.

tinkagirl, Oct 29, 5:51am
try adding some lemon rind to your favourite short bread recipe, it is wonderful

fxx99, Oct 29, 7:20am

samanya, Oct 29, 7:22am
I made that one once too & only once! I love the look of mooshie's coconut lemon slice.

mooshiesmum, Oct 30, 3:06am
Thanks Samanya, its one of the most popular slices on my blog, in fact I made 3 double batches on the weekend for other people! It goes down well wherever we take it.

kay141, Oct 30, 3:25am
Have you tried the "brownies" without the icing? I think that would be too sweet for me. I like the sound of the slice but don't like coconut.

samanya, Oct 30, 5:15am
Hey no probs . does it freeze well? I cook for one (& don't eat much sweet stuff), but love to have some scrummy things in the freezer to bring out for friends & visitors.