Muffins just like at the cafe

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Apr 7, 10:52am
Jaffa Cupcake on this NZ blog?

http://www.everyrecipe.co.nz/click/index/54826/?site=bakingm
akesthingsbetter.com

crumpy06 (647 647 positive feedback) 9:55 am, Sun 6 Apr #3
1 cup SR Flour, 2 T cocoa, 3/4 c sugar, 50 g butter, 2 eggs, 3/4 c milk (approx).
Heat oven to 180 C. Place flour, cocoa,sugar in large bowl. Place butter in a measuring cup and add the eggs then fill up to one cup measurement with the milk. Beat this into the dry ingredients until smooth. Fill cupcakes 3/4 fill. Bake 15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

circularboy (444 444 positive feedback) 10:27 am, Sun 6 Apr #4

huia991, Apr 7, 6:30pm
I use Alison Holst's muffin book recipes and the always come out light.
I also believe the key is in the mixing. Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients seperately. Then add wet to dry and combine until just mixed. Don't overmix. I've done variations on hers and they turn out perfectly.

lynja, Apr 7, 7:24pm
Yes village.green, I agree, I would like to know what it is that they add which makes the light muffins. I guess the ingredients label will be so complicated it would be hard to decipher.

willman, Apr 7, 8:04pm
I like my Muffins to taste like Muffins, not like cakes or scones.

That's the trouble with the supermarkets, etc,.

nauru, Apr 8, 7:02am
Most of them use a muffin mix & just add different things to ring the changes. I also guess these muffin mixes have an arm long list of ingredients & additives too. I agree with post#22, that's the book I use and if you follow the wet to dry rule and don't over mix, you can't go wrong.

bev00, May 1, 12:30pm
PestoHerb Savoury Muffins
In a bowl mix
4 cups self raising flour
2 cups chopped spinach
2 cups grated tasty cheese

In another bowl mix
150 grams butter melted
2 cups milk
2 eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 cup good quality basil pesto

Mix together but do not over mix. Spray Texas-size muffin tins and bake at 180 deg C for 20 minutes or until done.

rainrain1 (7 7 positive feedback) 10:44 am, Fri 26 Apr #3
A good way to help increase the taste of savoury muffins is to put a packet of bacon & onion soup mix in. Yum

kirmag (290 290 positive feedback) 10:53 am, Fri 26 Apr #4
We did have a thread on the very subject a couple of weeks ago with some brilliant ones. I love pesto, so rainrain1's sound delicious.

http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/mini-savoury-
muffins/

bridget107 (89 89 positive feedback) 7:09 pm, Tue 30 Apr #6

brianmac, May 1, 6:24pm
Be aware that some cafés use premixed muffin mix. I tend to use AWW recipes for muffins on the odd occasion that I make them.

lyl_guy, May 3, 10:18pm
Agree with the 'taste' issue of bought muffins (and cupcakes!). they never taste as good as home-made. and I'm not saying that as a prolific baker (I'm not at all), just an observation. Now I realise why - they're probably made using a mix!?

village.green, May 4, 12:40am
What I would like to know after reading the above posts is what do they put in the mix then that makes them so light. I get frustrated with muffins too even though I am very gentle with the mixture. I suppose if you did end up using a mix you would just make sure you put lots of things in or robust flavours to 'beef' them up a bit. I'm might go and have a look now my interest is piqued although I don't tend to use pre mixes of anything really.

lyl_guy, May 4, 2:08am
I'm no expert, but I've always thought that muffins aren't really supposed to be ultra light? Not like cupcakes or sponges etc. Haven't muffins always been a denser/ heavier consistency?

fatsin, May 12, 2:52am
I didn't have a lot of luck baking nice light muffins until I started adding a good dollop of yoghurt (3-4 tbsp, any flavour). Add to sweet or savory muffins and now have great success. They also freeze well.

carter19, May 12, 7:37am
I find store bought muffins are more sponglike than muffin density. And flavourless

firob, May 13, 9:42am
Ideas please. What does one add / do, to get my muffins nice and light, like the good cafes sell with your long black ? Even using the faithfull Edmonds book or mothers recipe they still turn out alright, but just not that same texture that the good cafes have.

nik12, May 13, 9:52am
How much to do you mix them? Doesn't matter if there is still the odd bit of dry flour in the mix, I think over mixing is the biggest problem with muffins? I use Allyson Holst's marvellous muffins book. They are great.

ngacooky, May 13, 10:26am
have you tried muffin mix? but i agree with nik12, dont over mix it

nanasbeaubeau, May 14, 7:58am
3 cups self raising flour 1 cup sugar . Add 1 to 2 cups of fruit of your choice.
3 cups milk / 1/2 cup oil and 3 eggs mix in bowl then add to dry mix.
Fold the mixture in don't beat. Leave sugar out if making savoury.
Full proof muffin recipe I use in cafe. For xtra taste in sweet add teaspoon vanilla essence but not nessasary. Enjoy

lindylambchops1, May 14, 9:15am
How many muffins does this make please?

aktow, May 14, 11:17am
my full proof blueberry muffin recipe,, i put all ingredients in to grams so weigh every thing,, 80ml is 80grams
mixture
190g all-purpose flour 150g white sugar 3g salt 9g baking powder 80 ml vegetable oil 1 egg 80 ml milk
145 g fresh or frozen blueberries

To make crumble topping
100g white sugar 40g all-purpose flour 55g butter, cubed
3g ground cinnamon

directions
get a large bowl,, add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder,, combine all the dry goods, in another jug, add the milk, oil and the egg and give it a whisk, tip the wet mixture in to the dry goods and give it a light stir with a spoon,, Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups or tins right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.,,,i found the mixture stoggy,,

To Make Crumb Topping:
Mix together sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon. Mix with fork or hands, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done. 400 degrees F (200 degrees C makes 8 servings

aktow, May 14, 11:22am
you do not need to make a crumble but it tastes better,, if you want recipe in cups, teaspoons etc ,, i have this as well

gardie, May 14, 7:47pm
Bakeries and some cafes generally use a premix which they can turn into scones, cakes, muffins etc. It does make them quite light but I find it also makes them all taste similar.

lynja, May 15, 6:48pm
I agree gardie. I am always amazed at how large and consistantly light they are through out the muffin, so assume many do use a mix.

punkinthefirst, May 16, 9:42am
Most of them use a muffin mix. It's available at Toops or Moore Wilson by the (10 kg?) bag, but also available at Bin Inn by the kilo. Cafes just add fruit and other extras to suit. The low fat muffin mix makes the nicest muffins, in my opinion, but try them and see.

firob, May 16, 10:35am
Many many thanks. You are all real gems.

clevercloggs, May 16, 6:47pm
Most of the cakes and muffins you buy in cafes have been made with 'mixes'. Very few cafes these days make their own stock from scratch. Personally I find the muffins at muffin break etc all look yummy, but I'm yet to be satisfied with the taste.

bev00, Mar 27, 9:01am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Donut Muffins
These are so yummy! mix 1/2 c oil, 1 egg and 3/4 c milk together. In another bowl mix 2c flour, 1/2t baking powder, 1/2t salt, 1/2t nutmeg, 1c sugar and 1t cinnamon. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix till just blended. Put in muffin pans and bake at 180 for 20 minutes. While still warm, melt some butter in a little bowl. Mix 1c sugar and 1t cinnamon together. Dip the top of the muffins in the butter, then into the cinnamon sugar. Let them cool. I made these yesterday and everyone who tried one said they were better than donuts! Makes about 12 med sized muffins. posted by carafh " :-))

245sam (49 49 positive feedback) 11:43 am, Tue 8 Jul #2