How do i cook a pork belly roast.

waiariki1, Jul 15, 12:44am
Hi, How do you cook a pork belly roast, what do I put with it etc, looking forward to your replies.

valentino, Jul 15, 1:09am
The most simplest way is Cut the skin into diamond cuts then smear Olive oil all over both sides.
Lay the Belly Skin up into an oven proof dish, (ideally if both dish and belly is similar in size).
Bake at say about 140 to 150 C for a couple of hours at least.

Take belly out of oven and smear some nice honey into the cuts.
Sprinkle and rub in some Salt Flakes all over the skin, put back into oven but closer to the grill and grill the skin until it crackles, you need to watch this to ensure all is even and not to burn.

Once done sufficiently, continue to cook at 150C for another 30minutes or so having everything else ready to be served with it and serve by cutting into the cuts to get Cubed Pieces.

Cheers

dbab, Jul 15, 2:54am
Chelsea Winter's recipe. Really delicious

http://chelseawinter.co.nz/pork-belly/

thewomble1, Jul 15, 11:28am
PORK BELLY
Heat a roasting dish with olive oil on the stove top.
Add a chopped fennel bulb
3 garlic cloves crushed
some fennel seeds
star aniseeds
2 or 3 cardomon seeds crushed
bay leaves
Stir and cook for several minutes.

Pork belly slashed and salt rubbed into the cuts. Roll to open the cracks.
Skin side down on top of vegetables and sear.
Turn over and rub some fennel seeds into the cracks.
Add some white wine and burn off alchol.
Add stock to just up to the skin.
Bring to the boil before putting in 180°C oven.
Cook 2 1/2 hours.
Remove fat from dish.
Add 1tsp mustard
Pour into jug for gravy.

flossey, Jul 16, 9:18am
Chelsea Winters pork belly is the best.

karlymouse, Jul 16, 10:36am
Interesting on CDWM tonight she cooked pork belly by blasting the skin first then turned down and cooked in milk and everyone raved on it. BTW I cooked the Chelsea Winter recipe and its preferable and nicer than cooked in milk.

thewomble1, Jul 18, 8:08am
Cooking in milk helps 'reduce' the fat. Cook a goose in milk for the same reason.

rainrain1, Aug 16, 4:44am
Bump diddily ump bump, just because it's cold wet and miserable, and I'm getting hungry.
Plus I have never cooked a pork belly in my entire married life,

uli, Aug 16, 6:04am
uhh rainrain1 - you BUMPED!

dbab, Aug 17, 3:49am
I am cooking one today. Smells delicious.

karlymouse, Aug 17, 4:01am
Maybe but it doesn't taste as good as not cooking it milk :)

rainrain1, Aug 17, 5:33am
I cooked one today, there's no fat on the shop bought belly though, crackling was a fail boo hoo

eastie3, Aug 17, 6:01am
I'm also recommending Chelsea's recipe.
Fennel is one of the ingredients I dislike the most and star anise isn't a favourite either. I want to taste the pork not have the flavour overwhelmed by those spices.

rainrain1, Aug 17, 6:19am
I did Chelsea's recipe, but I rushed the cooking, 2 hours instead of 4, I was up late. next time I will stick to her cooking times, and use home kill belly. The trouble is, I don't get any small cuts of meat, just bit hunks of roasts (which I hate< but would never say) or chops (which we love). I will be sweet and ask nicely for some fancy pantsy cuts

awoftam, Aug 17, 6:37am
I score the skin, rub with light olive oil, fennel seeds and salt and roast at 130ish for about 5 hours. Then grill the last few mins to crispy the crackling. Its very yum - but a very rich cut.

dianavan, Dec 24, 12:47am
I fan bake on high near the top of the oven for the last 5mins to blow out the skin (crackling) I've had it about 4 cm high. Yum