Pumpkin,what would you do.?

hammer23, Dec 29, 6:02am
many years ago when I lived in the Pacific we had a bring and share luncheon at my house.
A local women bought a pumpkin, she had cut the top off ,taken out the seeds and filled it with wonderfull fillings which she then baked. The finished result was truly delicious and I would like to produce this dish and show off to my friends my wannabe culinary skills.
So please help me and suggest fillings to place in my pumpkin
Thank you.

griffo4, Dec 29, 6:35am
Hope you get some recipes l have a pumpkin sitting round that needs something done with it

rainrain1, Dec 29, 6:52am
Fill it with your favourite thickened cheesy mince recipe. You keep the pumpkin lid to put back on to cook

hammer23, Dec 29, 6:57am
any vegetables,other stuff?

whitehead., Dec 29, 7:25am
pumpkin pie is yum ive never had anyone say no to it . there are plenty of reciptys on here

ruby19, Dec 29, 7:50am
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12805/roast-pumpkin-with-cream-thyme-and-parmesan This sounds looks amazing but haven't tried. I did make pumpkin gnocchi on xmas day with a mushroom and blue cheese sauce that was amazing http://www.prouditaliancook.com/2012/10/pumpkin-gnocchi.html
This is the gnocchi recipe.

socram, Dec 29, 8:26am
Cook up a chilli con carne.

Cook the pumpkin in the microwave (seeds out and top sliced off but put back on for cooking) - about 35-45 minutes.

Put the cooked chilli in the pumpkin and if you are wanting to impress, when at your destination, a dollop of sour cream on the top. or, you can cut the pumpkin in half and do two halves!

I get asked to take it at almost any pot luck dinner.

The other favoured options, are a mix of spinach and different cheeses, sun dried tomatoes, a little onion etc.

Third, is cooked onion, frozen sweet corn plus a can of creamed sweet corn with sour cream (again - I use it a lot). You can add cheese if you wish or even a small can of coconut cream. Cook it up before adding to the pumpkin.

lilyfield, Dec 29, 8:38am
I had it once in Bali filled with a concoction that contained lots of walnuts. just beautiful,, sorry no recipe

rainrain1, Dec 29, 8:30pm
I say no to it, it's revolting

floralsun, Dec 30, 9:57am
Cut the top off the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds (keep them to grow if you really like the pumpkin flavour once cooked), top back on and bake 1/2 hour at 180C till starting to soften.
Lid off, then layer inside, until almost to the top, some cooked veges sliced - potatoes, kumara, leeks, onion, etc. Make a mix of eggs and milk, seasoned to taste. Pour over the veges, sprinkle grated cheese on top. Lid on and bake until the pumpkin is tender and the quiche inside is set.
Cut into wedges to serve.
You can add cooked chicken or ham to the layered veges.

janeny1, Dec 31, 5:07am
Microwaved pasta stuffed pumpkin
150g small pasta shapes, 1 t oil, !T butter, 1 medium carrot, 1/2 cup frozen peas ( I also put in frozen corn) 1 egg, 1/2 t salt 1 pumpkin
Cook the pasta as usual in a large pot on the stovetop. Drain well
Peel and dice the carriot. place in a large microwave casserole dish with the butter . Microcook on Hi, covered for 2 minutes, add peas (and corn) and cook for a further 1 minute. beat egg and add to the vegetables . Add the drained pasta.
Wash the pumpkin, slice off the top and scoop out the seeds. Fill with the pasta mix and put lid back on. Microcook on a flat dish on Hi for 30 minutes

janeny1, Dec 31, 5:09am
Sorry just read through my post, the oil and salt are used when cooking the pasta.

uli, Feb 17, 12:03am
". filled it with wonderfull fillings which she then baked. "
Not much to go on really.

was it seafood or mince or vegetables or what?

A bit more info would help to create a similar recipe for you.