Creme Fraiche

sampa, Sep 16, 10:29pm
Sadly the Lewis Road double cream is not always available and since I was interested in giving making this a go myself too I started wondering about yoghurt as a possible alternative and that lead me to this which I found pretty helpful, thought others might as well -

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/how-to-make-creme-fraiche.html

davidt4, Sep 16, 11:06pm
You don't have to use Lewis Rd double cream , ordinary plain cream will do; the result won't be quite so thick but it will taste right. I used to use ordinary cream all the time until Lewis Rd came on the market.

If you use yoghurt as a starter the result will have a different flavour profile as the bacteria are different. Not unpleasant but not crème fraîche

sampa, Sep 17, 1:38am
That's interesting david4 I'd love to be ambitious and try making it both ways at the same time to see (taste) the difference and see which I prefer. Probably the cream will win. it's cream after all = yummy.

davidt4, Sep 17, 1:43am
I think you are getting confused by that blog. The yoghurt is suggested as a starter, an alternative to buttermilk. The base ingredient in each case is heavy cream no matter which starter is used.

dreamers, Sep 20, 1:36am
Has anyone made this and was it successful ?

davidt4, Sep 20, 2:19am
Yes and yes. I make it with Lewis Road double cream and Tararua buttermilk and it is delicious.

dreamers, Oct 22, 2:15am
Thank you ,it has to be cost effective to make your own.