Have 125 grams of cream cheese left over

popeye333, May 12, 12:43am
x1
does anyone have a small unbaked cheese cake recipe I could use or cut down easily.
Doesn't matter if it only makes a small cheesecake, there's only two of us here and Id rather not waste the cream cheese

lost-in-oz, May 12, 12:51am
make some choc muffins. half fill the tin and add a blob of cream cheese. top with muffin mix and bake.

popeye333, May 12, 1:05am
Thanks Lost-in-Oz. Id prefer to make a cheese cake.

Have just been told I can freeze the cream cheese, so I will do that and then get more to make my normal reipce

245sam, May 12, 3:37am
popeye333, would you like to have a try at making the following? It's not called a cheesecake but IMO it is a cheesecake, and it only requires 125g cream cheese.

CREAMY COFFEE PIE
Crust:
¾ packet wholemeal or malt / maltmeal biscuits, crushed
85g (3oz) butter, melted

Mix the butter and the biscuit crumbs together well, then press the mixture into a 23cm (9”) pie plate and refrigerate.

Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
2 tbsp water
2 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp instant coffee
½ cup (125g) cream cheese

Add the gelatine to the water. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
In a double boiler or basin mix the egg yolks, half of the sugar and the milk. Stir over hot water until the custard coats the back of spoon, then add the coffee and the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Cool.
Beat the cream cheese until soft, then gradually add the cooled custard.
Beat the egg whites and the remaining sugar until stiff, then fold the meringue-like mixture into the setting custard mixture. Pour the filling mixture into the biscuit crust and set it in the refrigerator. Decorate with whipped cream and kiwifruit or strawberries.
Serves: 4-6.
Note: This 'cheesecake' freezes well and can also be made in individual portion-sized containers e.g. yoghurt pottles.

Hope that helps. :-))

fishplants, May 12, 8:50am
I would use it on bread , topped with cucumber and salmon. Nice dinner or entree.

sandra25, May 12, 7:49pm
I bought some cream cheese when it was really cheap at Pak N Save & froze it. It was unusable when I defrosted it. It was all grainy & crumbly. Tried to beat it for a cheese cake but had to throw it away & buy more. Used one container for cream cheese icing on a carrot cake because I thought adding icing sugar would camouflage it - but it didn't. Never again!

245sam, Aug 4, 6:11pm
sandra25, your experience with the previously frozen cream cheese has confirmed what I have always wondered about re using that cream cheese for cheesecakes and icings; however I have on several occasions frozen cream cheese and then very successfully used it for the following.

HERB AND TWO-CHEESE BREAD
250g (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
½ cup milk
1½ cups (170g/6oz) grated tasty cheese
1 tbsp green onion slices
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾-1½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp salt

Beat the cream cheese, margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the eggs and milk; mix well.
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add the cheese and onions and toss them through. Add the cream cheese mixture, mixing just until moistened – the mixture will be very thick. Place the mixture into a greased and floured 22∙5cm x 12∙5cm (9”x5”) loaf pan.
Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
This loaf cuts best if made a day ahead.

Hope that helps. :-))