Sweet breads (offal)

thewomble1, May 29, 11:07am
Googled how to cook. Some say boil, cool then fry. Others just crumb and fry. Anyone got a good a recipe. THANKS

245sam, May 29, 1:58pm
thewomble1, I don't have a recipe as such and I haven't had sweetbreads for a number of years however my preference is not to have them fried.
As children we had sweetbreads quite frequently because my Dad worked at a meat works. Once away from home and cooking the sweetbreads for myself I have always done as my Mum did - she rinsed the sweetbreads, then gently simmered them in water until cooked, then cooled the sweetbreads and trimmed off any excess fat or other 'bits', For those who liked them fried, that's the way Mum (or sometimes Dad) cooked them but I can't remember whether the sweetbreads were crumbed or battered. Personally I found the sweetbreads to be too rich when fried so I had them in a white sauce - I'm not sure how Mum prepared the sauce but from memory, I think I used some of the cooking liquid as well as milk when making the sauce.

Hope that helps. :-))

rainrain1, May 29, 9:04pm
Boiled, crumbed then fried is how I used to do them

fifie, May 29, 11:57pm
Rinse well in cold water, simmer 15 mins drain cool then dip in flour,beaten egg, crumb in panko crumbs, sit in fridge 1/2 hr before cooking fry in teasp oil and butter till crumbs are golden, serve with salad. or Make a white sauce with plenty garlic, chopped parsley,s/p add boiled cooled sweet breads heat through serve on toast or pile of mash.

fey, May 30, 3:00am
Boiled - often in milk because it helped retain the white colour. Crumbed then fried is how I nostalgically remember them from childhood.

sticky232, May 30, 9:19am
Boil and put in white parsley sauce lovely

dolphin19, May 30, 9:31am
This is what I do.

thewomble1, May 30, 9:54am
Thanks to everyone.
When frying . cook like you would squid . short period of time so they don't leathery. Read to cook 4 minutes each side.

twindizzy, May 30, 8:10pm
crumb then shallow fried in chilli oil

dawnwoman, May 30, 11:42pm
I use this recipe when I can get sweetbreads - usually from the butcher who keeps some in the freezer. Excellent recipe. Its the closest I could find to the ones sold at Homestead Chicken. You can add cumin, garlic salt and other seasonings to the breadcrumbs to give more flavour.

whitehead., Jun 1, 12:39am
boil with a silce of bacon in the water it really helps the flavor cool then roll in flour and egg and bread crumbs and fry eat with bacon on toast yummy or mashed spud

thewomble1, Jun 2, 11:57am
When frying . like cooking squid . quick for short period OR longer and lower temperature

thewomble1, May 25, 7:03pm
THANKS to everyone. Add a stock cube to the water and simmered them for 15 minutes . removed from water and cooled . then flour,egg and bread crumbed and deep fried. Turned out to be very very tender. Again thanks to all.
Going to try sheep brains cooking as above.