What do you put on top of your porridge

Page 1 / 2
janeny1, May 25, 11:53pm
My family served porridge with brown sugar sprinkled on top, or a swirl of golden syrup. DH"s family put bran on top of their porridge. I crush a weetbix on his now. How do you serve your porridge ?

cgvl, May 26, 12:18am
Have it with cream and milk and a Tablespoon of yoghurt for sweeteness. No sugar.

rainrain1, May 26, 12:42am
Flavoured cooked sachet, eat it as it is, i.e. no milk sugar or anything

beaker59, May 26, 12:59am
Oat and Almond milk, no sugar no syrup etc etc.

deanna14, May 26, 1:19am
Properly made porridge with soft brown sugar, a knob of butter and creamy milk.

rarogal, May 26, 1:30am
My favourite is brown sugar and cream. I rarely have it though :)

janeny1, May 26, 1:41am
thanks everyone. rarogal,it's quick and simple to make in the microwave. I use our pasta dishes, half a cup rolled oats, pinch sail, two thirds cup milk, cook for one minute, stir, cook for another minute and it is ready to serve. Saves washing up too, as you cook it in the plate you eat from.

westward1, May 26, 1:45am
My 6 year old daughter, a white and gold staffy, eats it anyway. Oh how she would like brown sugar and cream on top :-) :-)

wasgonna, May 26, 2:26am
Oh no . . . you sound like a normal person and I thought I was the only one left.

sampa, May 26, 2:40am
A sprinkle of cinnamon can be helpful if anyone's looking to cut down the added sweeteners.

westward1 - my 6 year old 'daughter' - red and white Boxer - completely concurs with your girls thoughts on the matter. ;-)

awoftam, May 26, 3:32am
Yes! My Dad used to make us this for breakfast int he Winter. Divine.

hezwez, May 26, 3:33am
I love it topped with fruit and almonds and a little soya milk.

suzannelg, May 26, 3:40am
I had it this morning with berries, and superfoods blend. I've also started cooking it with a mix of unsweetened coconut milk and water.

turtlet, May 26, 6:25am
I cook the porridge and then mix it with frozen blueberries which thaw within one minute and bio farm yoghurt. Never get sick of it.

frances1266, May 26, 6:27am
Banana, cinnamon and maple syrup are good Or I soak rolled oats in soy milk with a little cinnamon overnight and in the morning grate an apple on top, sometimes add banana as well.

maximus44, May 26, 7:06am
My favourite way is with cream and raw sugar. I was interested to see that someone here has butter with it. My neighbour, who is English, has butter on it too. I hadn't heard of that until recently. I haven't been brave enough to try it with butter.

wildflower, May 26, 7:15am
I add banana protein powder (whey) and LSA, really nice, then just half water and half milk.

awoftam, May 26, 7:21am
The butter and the sugar kinda goes caramelly and then the cream. oh la laaaaaaa

davidt4, May 26, 7:34am
My Scots grandmother ate her porridge with butter and salt.

awoftam, May 26, 7:38am
I wonder if her butter was unsalted. ?

lilyfield, May 26, 7:54am
I cook three dates in mine

fordfeet, May 26, 8:02am
slice or two of cheese at bottom of bowl, porridge then brown sugar and cream. sounds weird huh? That was my brother in-laws thing. now we all do it

awoftam, May 26, 8:06am
Gawd I need some porridge I am dribbling at all the posts on this thread.

nauru, May 26, 8:14am
Cooked with water and either a touch of cinnamon, cardamon or nutmeg. Sometimes make it with grated apple and almonds depending what I fancy. Usually topped with homemade oat milk, LSA and either prunes and fresh fruit or rhubarb & raspberry puree which I make as a topping to have with my greek yoghurt.

sarahb5, May 26, 8:28am
I don't put anything on top of my porridge because I cook it with grated Apple, vanilla essence, cinnamon, chia seeds and almonds - doesn't need anything else. Cooked with half water, half almond milk.

I also soak my "mixture" overnight so you get a nice soft, creamy porridge and no phaffing around in the morning mixing and measuring.