Coleslaw horror story!

Page 1 / 2
wasala, Oct 15, 7:12am
I'd made a yummy coleslaw and laid it out with assorted dressings tonight to go with a lovely lean little lamb steak and seasoned mash. Next minute I saw my 18 year old son pouring tomato sauce on his coleslaw. How could he do that? Coleslaw and ketch-up; Yuk, yuk, yuk!

Does anyone else have teen horror stories to share?

wasala, Oct 15, 7:14am
I have to emphasise that tomato sauce wasn't a choice on offer. He'd obviously found it at the back of the fridge!

karlymouse, Oct 15, 8:35am
I share you pain. 28 years ago I had my niece living with me and she put tomato sauce on everything, and I always make a sauce to go with a meal. she would add it. so I stopped buying that sauce, she looked in the cupboard and found Worcestershire sauce and started using that on everything. My husband one night, hid the WS and when dessert was served asked her if she wanted WS on the cream. she said yes and so she had WS on her dessert . Ahhh. I trained my children differently.

sampa, Oct 15, 8:47am
Bet she did it to wind you up. Wonder who suffered more - you or her? Hopefully her!

uli, Oct 15, 8:02pm
Our teenage wwoofers eat white bread (toasted) topped with leftover brown cooked rice and nothing else. Not even tomato ketchup! Prime candidates for spaghetti on toast (minus the sauce) next. My bread is a bit too dense for them.

socram, Oct 15, 8:25pm
Sounds like a conversion to 1000 island dressing! Hey, he is eating veg, so be grateful for small mercies.

My son spent too long living with his mother(!) and when he came to visit as a young teenager, having eaten everything as a three year old, he wouldn't eat anything at all with any form of sauce or dressing on it. Ate no vegetables at all either, other than peas or sweetcorn.

Thankfully, he is now back to 'normal' and even enjoys curries. Maybe his wife had something to do with that.

fifie, Oct 15, 9:28pm
Know a guy who puts gravy on desserts, if its steamed pudding it swims in gravy yuk.

wasala, Oct 15, 11:43pm
That's gross isn't it? Come to think of it though, I used to like tomato sauce on macaroni cheese. Is that weird? I'm not sure!

kay141, Oct 15, 11:47pm
My husband put tomato sauce or Mum's plum sauce, on many things including bread and butter but never desserts. I never eat either.

muffin2, Oct 15, 11:54pm
I had a flatmate once who put tomato sauce on everything - vanilla ice cream with tomato sauce, porridge with tomato sauce - he even put tomato sauce on his cornflakes one morning because he had run out of milk!

kirmag, Oct 16, 1:05am
When me and the Mr first started seeing each other, I made lasagne for him one night. he poured tomato sauce all over it! I was shocked, I make a bloody tasty lasagne, there is no need for tomato sauce and he hadn't even tasted it before doing so!

He's never done it again.

teddy147, Oct 16, 2:55am
Sadly my husband puts tomatoe sauce on everything, I do get rather p. at him sometimes.

eastie3, Oct 16, 3:14am
Well mine covers his food with pepper, it infuriates me.

kay141, Oct 16, 3:28am
And the common denominator is? Males!

jenwren26, Oct 16, 3:31am
At boarding school we used to get dried up grilled sausages for breakfast once or twice a week, with no sauce. So to take the dryness away we used to put marmalade on them. It was delicious and to this day I still often put marmalade on my sausages.

socram, Oct 16, 3:52am
As tomatoes are classed as fruit and tomato sauce has a heap of sugar in it, why the surprise? Each to his/her own of course but tomato sauce on macaroni cheese? No problem. I usually add tomatoes anyway! Prefer a tomato relish, but like eggs and bacon, they are great together but it needs something else, be that tomato sauce/relish, beans, tomatoes or HP sauce, to make it more balanced for my taste.

Some food is just too dry. One friend eats his scones and muffins dry and yet I prefer a thick layer of Lurpak butter on mine.

It is usually classed as rude if you add salt/pepper/sauce to any chef's creation, before tasting it but some of us like rather more salt, pepper, butter and even sugar than others. No big deal.

kiwisportsgirl, Oct 16, 7:10am
Was at tea at my sisters house one night. I witnessed my nephews pouring heaps of tomato sauce all over their Mac' in cheese along with my Brother-in-law. I thought ewww yukkk WTF who does that?
Sat down to eat my meal with my first mouthful I realised why they did this. OMG it was tasteless and like eating wall paper paste.
Poor sis.

socram, Oct 16, 7:17am
LOL! I'm afraid that macaroni cheese can be superb - or exactly as you noted.

awoftam, Oct 16, 7:29am
Necessity is the mother of invention. Love it.

slimgym, Oct 16, 5:13pm
I put tomato sauce on scrambled eggs, my H who's a chef couldn't believe it, I now notice he does it haha

rainrain1, Oct 16, 8:03pm
Rude to add salt and pepper. tough titties chefs,

ruby2014, Oct 17, 3:39am
I now know why the kids love Tomato Sauce, as it is full of sugar.

rarogal, Oct 20, 8:37pm
One of my little granddaughters just loves mint sauce on toast! My SIL is another tomato sauce addict! I rarely have it but do like Worcester sauce.

pinnochio1, Oct 20, 10:57pm
I so love all you people, you me feel normal. My children used to put tomato sauce on fish. Much to my horror ruining beautiful fish like that.

trouser, Oct 21, 3:17am
$40 of eye fillet steak died a horrible death when I was requested to cook it so there was no 'blood' in it and then was smothered in tomato sauce. Brought a tear to my eye.