Recipe Apple Jelly.

macandrosie, Sep 2, 3:28am
Does anyone have a tried & true recipe for apple jelly please?

terraalba, Sep 2, 3:34am
A tip for apple jelly I have found good is to include crab apples in the mix of apples. They provide a delicate pink colour and some pectin. Best perhaps to make the jelly during the time of year when crab apples are tree ripened.

terraalba, Sep 2, 4:37am
I forgot to add that the crab apples improve to the flavour too.

macandrosie, Sep 2, 8:06pm
Yes I do have crab apples so did you have a recipe? I haven't managed to find one yet! TIA

nanasee1, Sep 2, 8:20pm
Wash apples. Cut into pieces (don't bother to peel or core) barely cover the apples with water. Bring to the boil then simmer until the apples are really pulpy. Drain the mixture through a jelly bag ( or colander lined with muslin or chux cloths). Do not squeeze the bag or the jelly will be cloudy; let it drain naturally for up to 24 hours. Measure the drained liquid and add 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar for each cup of liquid. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved then keep it at a good rolling boil until it meets the set test. I sometimes add the juice of a lemon or two, it can help the set. Good luck, we love apple jelly.

macandrosie, Sep 3, 1:54am
Thanks nanasee1 looking forward to trying this!

whitehead., Sep 3, 4:26am
spot on

terraalba, Sep 4, 5:04am
The crab apples are added to the apples as above. I never worried about the proportion of apples to crab apples sorry.

I recall one of my experiments resulted in a pink delicately flavoured spread for a sponge cake and cream which was very nice.

I had a batch of cooking apples from which I stewed the best bits for an apple pie and then chucked the thickly peeled skins and cores in with a pile of small crab apples washed and chopped roughly into the pot with water and made the recipe as above. I have a jelly bag now but in those days lined a sieve with butter muslin to strain the juice. It is probably important to not strain the juice longer than 24 hours because pectin can loose is effectiveness after that.

suzi_m1, Sep 4, 8:39am
I also add a little bit of crystalised ginger to give it a little bite

bev00, Sep 4, 12:21pm
saving .

whitehead., Nov 13, 6:17pm
i once made a pot of crab apple jelly and i was being it to the boil before adding sugar and it was setting on the sides of the pot and boiling in the middle