Beetroot glut help!

bev00, Jan 17, 10:43am
Roast Beetroot, Pomegranate Molasses and Walnut Dip

I first came across this dip at the Aro Street Cafe many years ago, made by my friend Frank de Rousse, and have loved it ever since. Aside from the excellent flavour it also looks spectacular on the table.
This recipe can be used in so many ways - your vegan friends will love this in a 'burger' with a big, juicy, grilled portobello mushroom and hummus; of course its very, very good with deep red meats too. Or spread it out meze-style on a flat plate, drizzled with olive oil, alongside thick, dill-scented yoghurt and warmed pita bread.

4 x medium beetroot

11/2 cups walnuts, lightly toasted

2-3 T pomegranate molasses

Aprox 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Flaky sea salt to taste

Cut the stalks and 'tails' off the beetroot and wrap each one in foil. Put these in the back of the oven for an hour or so - do this while you are cooking something else in the oven, any time during the day you plan to make the dip. To test if the beetroot are cooked slide a small knife into one - if it goes in easily then you're good to go.

Turn on the cold tap and {wearing gloves if you are concerned about discoloured hands} rub away the thin skin clinging to the beetroot - it will slide off easily. When they are peeled check the beetroot for any fibres or bits of missed skin. Pat dry.

Chop the beetroot into small cubes.

Put the beetroot, walnuts, half the oil, half the pomegranate molasses and a pinch of salt into the food processor and pulse to chop - I prefer some knubbly texture left in the dip rather than a very smooth and uniform paste. Be guided by your own preferences and taste as you go to balance the ratio of sweet beet to sour molasses and don't skimp on the salt! If you don't want to add more pomegranate molasses - don't! If you want a firmer texture - like in the photograph - go easy on the olive oil.

Ideally let this sit about, covered, for at least an hour at room temp before eating. Will keep for several days in the fridge

bev00, Feb 10, 9:27am
made this recipe from the NZWW mag a few weeks back and l would make it in a bigger tin but it went down a treat with everyone so worth a try
lt was a recipe request from a cafe called EastEnd cafe and bar at Wairoa
l didn't make the icing just used an ordinary icing

Chocolate beetroot cake
Ready in 1 hour 45 minutes, serves 12.

Test this cake while it’s baking with a skewer or sharp knife – it can look cooked, but the middle may still be raw.

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups f;our
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 cups peeled and grated raw beetroot
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC on bake.

2. Grease and line the base of a 23cm spring-form cake tin with paper.

3. In a large bowl place the first four ingredients and mix, giving it a good stir.

4. Sift the next five ingredients into another bowl.

5. Add the flour mix, alternating with the grated beetroot.

6. Mix together lightly and place in the tin. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Icing:
The EastEnd Café makes a peanut butter icing (1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup softened butter and 3 cups icing sugar) or a chocolate ganache icing.

We used a chocolate ganache by melting 125g dark chocolate, 1 tbsp butter and 1/3 cup cream together. Heat gently, then pour over the cake.

Quotegriffo4 (229 ) 7:52 pm, Sat 9 Feb #5

holly-rocks, Feb 11, 2:56am
Your recipes sound amazing as always davidt4. I probably have over 50 in the garden at the mo. Been juicing them daily, really yummy with carrot, celery and fresh ginger :)

biggles45, Feb 11, 8:59pm
Pickled some. Also cooked and sliced small ones and frozen them. never tried freezing before, so no idea if they will be nice or not!

pickles7, Feb 12, 8:11pm

bev00, Feb 13, 11:49am
for beetroot fans

willyow, Feb 13, 4:22pm
Beetroot and goats cheese are a marriage made in heaven. There are lots of recipes on the net for Beetroot & Goats Cheese salads. With the Fig season now just kicking off - try adding some figs too. best vinaigrette is tomato and garlic roasted in the oven - then sieved with a little thyme and a little white wine vinegar to give it a bite.

herself, Feb 13, 8:29pm
Two of my favourite ways of using beetroot.
Roasted Beetroot & Carrot Salad
Carrots and beetroot cut into batons, red onions quartered. Put into large bowl. Stir through 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, juice of an orange, 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Roast until tender. Delicious hot or cold.

Raw Carrot & Beetroot Salad
Grate 2 carrots, 1 beetroot and the rind of one orange into a bowl.
Add the juice of the orange, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil,
2 tsp Honey, 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, 1 Tbsp chopped Mint
Salt & ground Pepper to taste.

2young1, Jan 1, 8:00pm
have got 25 huge beetroot . smallest one is small of tennis ball omg. recipes please. what to do?

ed65, Jan 1, 9:11pm
Beetroot and Feta Risotto is nice, and I freeze leftovers. Do you have a juicer? Beetroot's nice juiced with apples and carrots.

trader-joy, Jan 1, 9:43pm
Edmonds book beetroot chutney is yummy

geldof, Jan 1, 10:13pm
Roasted beetroot, yum - especially with some orange zest.

grated raw with carrot and apple, parsley, chives, nuts, makes a great salad.

beetroot and feta or goats cheese tarts.

Borscht

davidt4, Jan 1, 10:39pm
Beetroot & Lemon Chutney

Approx 6 cups.

2 large heavy lemons
2 large beetroot, peeled & grated
1 large onion, peeled & chopped
2 c. wine vinegar
2 c. raw sugar
3m piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tab. salt

Quarter lemons, slice thinly & remove pips. Place in saucepan, cover with water & simmer 15 – 30 minutes until tender.

Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil & simmer approx. 45 minutes or until thick. Stir towards end of time.

Keep for a week before using. I don’t think it will improve beyond about 6 months.

davidt4, Jan 1, 10:40pm
Beetroot frittata (Nigel Slater)

Serves 1-2

175g raw beetroot

4 spring onions

a handful of parsley

a small bunch of dill

a clove of garlic

3 eggs

a large knob of butter

50g grated parmesan

Peel the beetroot then grate it finely in a food processor. Thinly slice the spring onions, chop the parsley leaves & dill fronds and stir all into the beet.

Peel and crush the garlic. Melt the butter in a shallow, non-stick pan about 28cm in diameter then add the garlic and let it sizzle gently until it becomes a pale gold. Add the grated beetroot and cook for two or three minutes. Beat the eggs lightly, season, add half of the grated parmesan and then pour them over the softened beetroot. Cook on a very low heat until the eggs appear to be just setting. 7 or 8 minutes, maybe more.

Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and finish under a hot grill till it is set and golden, but far from brown.

davidt4, Jan 1, 10:41pm
Flourless Chocolate Beetroot Cake (Gluten Free)

22cm tin

300g cooked beetroot, peeled and puréed
4 large eggs
4 tab honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tab raw cocoa (plus some for dusting)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
125g almond meal
125g dark chocolate (minimum 70%)
4 tab ev olive oil

Heat oven to 180C. Line tin.

Melt chocolate over low heat, stir in oil until well combined.
In large bowl beat beetroot, eggs, honey, vanilla, cocoa, baking powder and salt. When well combined fold in almond meal.

Stir in chocolate mixture until well combined.

Scrape into tin, bake 35 - 40 min until skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin.

Dust with cocoa to serve, serve with crème fraîche

macandrosie, Jan 2, 3:10am
I think I told this story somwhere on here last year! I had a glut of oversized beetroots so started firing them over the fence hoping the sheep would eat them but not really thinking they would! Well "Lily" the pet sheep enjoyed them - I only wish I'd taken a photo because when I looked up she was happily munching on a large beetroot! You'd think I'd gone out there & painted bright pink lippy all over her mouth!

nauru, Jan 2, 5:39am
Lucky you, my beetroot is about the only thing that didn't do well in my garden. I picked the last yesterday (my biggest was smaller than your smallest) and pickled it all.

herc18, Mar 1, 6:18pm
They are very nice in smoothies, I usually cook them first though.