Have a smoked fish- Ideas for dinner please.

sparklesnz, Apr 26, 1:13am
Hi, can I please have some ideas on what to make for dinner tonight with a whole smoked kahawai.
Must be cheese and flour free.

davidt4, Apr 26, 1:30am
We like smoked fish in a salad. Make some mayonnaise with olive oil, egg yolks and lemon juice. Add some finely chopped garlic if you like. Pull the flesh into large chunks and mix with enough mayo to form a loose mixture. Add chopped raw spring onions or a chopped red onion, parsley, dill, tarragon or whatever herbs you have available. Gherkins or capers are a good addition.

Serve with boiled potatoes and a green salad.

tramore, Apr 26, 2:00am
Mix with pasta? or just with a white sauce

bisloy, Apr 27, 8:08am
Smoked fish pie is hard to beat with boiled eggs and creamy mashed potato topping.

awoftam, Apr 27, 9:04am
And parsley.

sarahb5, Apr 27, 11:37am
Kedgeree - yum

beaker59, Apr 28, 11:17pm
Lots of Kahawai around the Hauraki gulf at the moment, we have been enjoying lots of smoked fish in kedgeree and potato top pies with lots of tasty cheese on top.

My smoker hasn't been this busy for quite some time :)

kirmag, Apr 28, 11:23pm
Mmmmm that's what I feel like! Good hearty meal esp when you've got a cold. The Mr hates it though, after being made to eat it too many times as a child :(

petal1955, Sep 2, 12:44am
KEDGEREE

400 grms Smoked Fish
Water
100grms butter
1 large onion finely chopped
1-2 tsp Madras curry Powder I use a lot more 2 tbsp
½ tsp turmeric
1 cup basmati rice, washed
450 ml fish stock
Chopped parsley
Lemon juice
4 hard boiled eggs

Place the smoked fish in a pan and add water to cover. Bring to boil then cover and simmer gently for about 7 minutes, drain off the cooking liquid and reserve it. Flake the fish into medium sized chunks, discarding the skin.

Melt half the butter in a pan and sauté the onion until translucent. Stir in curry powder and turmeric and cook a further minute, then add the rice. Stir through, then pour 450ml of the fish cooking liquid. Bring to the boil and lower the heat. Simmer for about 12 minutes, until the rice is just about tender. Fork in the flaked fish and the remaining butter and let it warm through.

Turn out into a heated serving bowl and sprinkle with a little lemon juice and decorate with the eggs and parsley, and serve immediately.
Serves 4