savoury or 'sweet'?

whistle, Nov 19, 6:57pm
mixed thanks

cgvl, Nov 19, 7:48pm
have bumped a diabetic recipe thread which you may find helpful

lythande1, Nov 19, 11:50pm
Diabetic Baking (Page: 1 … 10 11 12)
Started by cgvl on Sat 29 Sep

You know, it's what led to a lot of the type 2 problem in the first place. Sure you can swap sugar for saccharine or whatever, but you are still eating big lumps of flour.
Which is stuffed with carbohydrates.
Is it really necessary to have cake and biscuits all the time? Even if you are not diabetic.

Have some fruit, have a salad, have some soup.

firemansgirl, Nov 20, 12:45am
A little judgemental don't you think?

joybells2, Nov 20, 12:57am
Yes I agree firemansgirl. Could be Type 1 too. You ask a question and you get put down, scare people off the message board.

kay141, Nov 20, 1:28am
Not necessarily. There are T2 diabetics who have never eaten many cakes and biscuits, such as my family, we don't have a sweet tooth. And who eats them all the time?

That is a very judgmental and inaccurate statement.

uli, Nov 20, 2:16am
Glad I stayed out of it so far (hard as it was) .

AND if you want to learn more about diabetes (both 1 and 2) then you will find that there is NO "diabetic baking" really.

Good luck!

cgvl, Nov 20, 3:24am
You obvious;y didn't read what I wrote did you?
All diabetic's need to watch the amount of carbs in and make choices, however as it is Xmas time don't you think a little bit of pleasure in our food is nice. Who said #OP was going to go overboard, they have been given a choice of recipes that are taken mainly from 2 very good diabetic cook books, recommended by the Diabetes Society.
There was no need for your comments.

daarhn, Nov 20, 3:59am
Recipe for Flourless and Low-Sugar (or Sugar-Free) Chocolate Shortbread Cookies (Gluten-Free)
http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/12/recipe-for-flourless-and-low-sugar-or.html Recipe for Flourless, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/10/recipe-for-flourless-sugar-free-peanut.html

uli, Nov 20, 4:24am
While I have my doubts about the "Diabetes Society" myself (who are they anyway?) - I am not going into the carbs debate here. Yes it is Xmas - and yes many people believe they need to eat cake at this time of year. All good to me - their lives, their health. Diabetes or not.

However what I DO NOT understand is - WHY are sweet cakes an indulgence? Why are sweet anythings "a treat"?

Why can it not be a treat to have a salad with smoked salmon?
Or a steak and new potatoes and salad?

Why is a "treat" here always either carbs with carbs (sugar and flour=cakes - with icing of course) or deep fried things?

Surely there are so many other treats out there?

How are NZlanders programmed form an early age that only cakes and sweets are "treats"?

Maybe someone who has lived here all their lives tell me - it is a mystery to me.

frances1266, Nov 20, 6:08am
Fat is the problem with type II diabetes not sugar. google.

kay141, Nov 20, 6:18am
Possibly because a sweet thing is something that is not eaten very often and only as a treat.

I would not call the meals you posted as treats, they are everyday foods especially when new potatoes are in season.

nauru, Nov 20, 6:19am
OP was asking for recipes not peoples opinions on what they should or should not eat. I doubt very much if people eat cake and biscuits all the time and we are heading towards Christmas when a little treat is very nice.

nauru, Nov 20, 6:35am
I don't consider salad and smoked salmon a treat, we often have that or salmon fillet with salad and always plenty of vegetables. These are everyday foods unlike cakes or biscuits which most people consider to be a treat.

tjmc, Nov 20, 6:49am
Nope

Get Educated

awoftam, Nov 20, 6:52am
Wrong. Just wrong.

uli, Nov 20, 8:08am
Ummm - YES - DO google .

uli, Nov 20, 8:10am
See there we differ - for me smoked salmon is a treat and cakes are something I do not like at all - in fact I now refuse to eat those terrible Christmas cakes. Really why should I . if I hate them, my body hates them and I feel bad after eating them? No "treat" for me at all!

uli, Nov 20, 8:11am
You might find out (once you shed the side blinkers) that you are very wrong there.

awoftam, Nov 20, 8:34am
I think you have misunderstood the intent of the post Uli. Keep posting tho - I love the thoughts you have to offer.

nahmi, Nov 20, 9:11am
Google low carb cookie or bread recipes.
They often use Almond flour

nahmi, Nov 20, 9:15am
Tell that to a diabetic who tests BG after a sugar snack and has gone high.
Lol

kay141, Nov 20, 6:39pm
Nobody is saying you should or must eat a Christmas cake. Some like it, some don't, some consider it a treat, some don't but it is obvious from the many posts that what constitutes a treat or a normal meal varies from person to person.

Just like people, there is no right or wrong way.