Girl guide camp dessert ideas please

amanda_simonp, Jan 3, 8:33am
My daughter is about to run her own camp for a badge - any ideas on a dessert she could do? She will only have an element cooker - many thanks

rainrain1, Jan 3, 8:57am
creamed rice

socram, Jan 3, 9:15am
Element cooker? C'mon. Camp fire - or have H & S banned what was the very basics of Scouting & Guiding?

asue, Jan 3, 9:56am
Maybe a steam pudding of some sort? I have a basic recipe for a 3/4 hour pudding. When that's cooked leave pudding sitting in the pot and then make a custard or chocolate/caramel sauce on the element to go with it?

duckmoon, Jan 3, 10:42am
banana cooked in foil, with marshmellows or choc chips

dinx, Jan 3, 2:58pm
Most councils have fire bans in place. So yeah, mostly converted to gas canister cookers. Very rarely will a group get a fire permit for a real camp fire and certainly not for a 9-12 and half year olds to be in charge of the fire as would be required for this kind of assessment.

Dd did hers in Nov. Some did boil in the bag style cake mix in a billy. Desert pan pizza is liked. Battered apple fritters with cinnamon, fruit kebabs, quite a mix. The leaders usually have a collection of tested recipes if that helps. Mashmellows with chic bikkies on a candle flame for supper later too.

dinx, Jan 3, 3:00pm
Never been able to make that one work well on a gas cooker but brilliant if you are ever able to have a proper campfire.

huia991, Jan 11, 11:11pm
Just caught up on the posts so here's my suggestions (as a GG leader)
***The boil in the bag cake is doing a cake mix in an oven bag (as per the cake mix instructions) and boiling in a billy - but also adding some extra yummys such as squares of caramello chocolate and serving with cream and raspberries.
***If you can get your hands on one of the old style toastie irons that you put over a fire or element - make an apple (or other fruit) pie using sheets of pastry and apple filling. Once cooked sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve with cream
*** Desert pizza - use a scone base in a frying pan (over a lowish heat) put in fruit and chocolate and marshmallows and put a lid on top - which will melt the chocolate and marshmallows
**** caramel bananas or pineapple - heat gently with butter in a frypan, sprinkle over brown sugar and then serve with cream
**** individual banana custard pies. Make a biscuit base with crushed biscuits and butter. Press into individual dishes. Make a custard. Cut some bananas, place on top of the pie bases and pour over the custard.

Although it would be lovely to have the girls doing their cooking on open fires - unfortunately as dinx said because of fire bans most can't.
Is your daughter able to use a barbecue - because if she can - then that could bring the bananas in tin foil, grilled fruit kebabs and such into play.

Good luck to you and your daughter. Your daughter is lucky to have a mum such as you to help her prepare for this - wish all girls had the same.

benberg, Jan 12, 5:47am
Ones that my guide daughter has talked about is mars bar fondue with fruit kebabs, pineapple and masrhmellow rice, smackos which are tortillas which are folded in half with marshmellows and chocolate in them cooked on each side, boil in a bag chocolate cake with caremello choclate pieces, pancakes with fruit salad

fee1965, Jan 12, 6:33pm
SMORES - Use choc wheaten biscuits, place marshmallows in between them (like a sandwich) and wrap in foil. Heat gently over embers or in a dry frying pan, turn often. When they feel squishy. eat!

amanda_simonp, Jan 12, 10:05pm
thank you thank you so much, this is fantastic, I am sure she can find something here.

summersunnz, Jan 24, 6:20pm
Hope she has a fantastic time :-)