Pavalova.Epic fail!

vintagetreats, Jan 2, 10:27am
Not saying this is the reason in case something else happened. but using fresh eggs for pavs can cause clear "bleeding" so it's best to use older eggs as the whites hold better and don't ooze.

nzhel, Jan 5, 8:19am
I made a pav whilst in Aust for Xmas Day using a recipe from the Best Recipes site which used icing sugar and had good reviews. Everything is put in the bowl all at once and beaten for about 10-15 minutes or so until thick and glossy, really easy. It was very successful, quite big and high with a light crust and a marshmallow centre. It did have a slightly 'floury' texture tho as a lot of icing sugar in Aust is called 'Icing Sugar Mixture' and contains cornflour or maize starch etc. I then bought pure icing sugar and made it again. This was also very successful tho not quite as high. It still had a light crust and a marshmallow centre but without the floury texture and was delicious and I would definitely make it again. Unfortunately from what I've noticed we don't seem to get 'pure' icing sugar here, tho probably castor sugar processed into icing sugar may work as well.

jodyw1, Jan 6, 5:35am
I made the Chelsea winter one for New Year's Day. Worst pav ever. I used old eggs, followed all her tips an yet it seeped something shocking.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 6, 5:45am
My daughter has made it twice now and was fine, thin meringue though but tasted nice not too sweet, My eggs weren't too fresh, I have used fresher eggs when I used to have chickens, it was just a big blob of marshmallow so in the bin it went :-(

wendalls, Jan 6, 6:32am
I wonder if 8 eggs just requires too long for beating and makes it harder to get round and dissolve the sugar? My breville beater struggled with 6. Took about half an hour. I bet this is the problem. If it feels grainy between your fingers then it will seep.

ry5, Jan 7, 9:15am
I tried the Annabel Langbein recipe this year and it was the best pav I've ever made. No bleeding whatsoever. The one tip she gave to avoid bleeding is to have your eggs at room temp before beating.

6 egg whites
pinch salt
1.5 cups caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vinegar
I added 1 tsp of vanilla as well even though it wasn't in Annabel's recipe.

Whip eggs to soft peak stage only! then start adding sugar in the usual manner, followed by the slurry of the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
Make a series of meringues in a close circle rather than 1 large flat disc. They'll meld together during cooking.

Bake at 180 for 5 mins then at 130 for 1 hour. Cool in oven.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 7, 9:52am
I have a kitchen aid mixer and used the larger glass bowl so plenty of room for volume and I did check that the sugar had dissolved, my 43 yr old recipe I usually use just throw everything in beat on high for 15 mins. never had a failure yet :-)

madj, Jan 8, 7:38am
I have tried many pav recipes (love trying out new ones) and Chelsea Winters one was the first fail I have had for many many years. I read all the tips and instructions carefully and followed each one to the letter. It was seriously the biggest disappointment I have ever had. I made 2 over Christmas, one was Annabel Langbeins which I made for work turned out beautifully and the other for our Christmas day was Chelsea's. thankfully I had also done other dessert options so it wasn't our only one, was so upset. Kiwiscrapper what is your 43 year old recipe would love to give it a try.

fifie, Jan 8, 10:04pm
Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time beat well in between. I make a 8 egg pav with my small electric hand beater, weeping is caused by sugar not being dissolved and never make a pav on a day if its high humidity this causes it to weep also.

valentino, Jan 9, 12:19am
Hmmm, just wondering here re Icing sugar - castor sugar.

Maybe worth trying a 50/50 mixture or 60% Icing and 40% castor sugars or vice-versa blended and used.

Interesting thoughts re hint of floury texture though usually blended with cream and fruit once being eaten though hmm but interesting thoughts to think of.

Cheers

buzzy110, Jan 9, 10:47am
I have always found that weeping is a direct result of not beating the egg white enough. If, when the sugar is being beaten in, the mixture stops holding its shape and sort of spreads, rather than become stiffer and firmer, then I'd throw it away because by then it is too late.

The mixture should be able to be piled up as high as you like without any give at all. There should be no spreading and the mix should be quite 'dry'.

pickles7, Jan 9, 8:38pm
One thing is the size of mixer. eight egg whites would be too much for my chef, 6 egg whites is max. for the bowl. My Major, would manage the eight egg whites.

pickles7, Jan 9, 8:49pm
Icing Sugar Pavlova. my Kenwood Chef, manages this recipe very well.

Put the kettle on to boil.
*Put the first 4 ingredients into a mixing bowl and start beating*
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
**add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water. ,
Beat until thick and smooth . approx 15 minutes

Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)
My new oven was a bit hot and tinged it a bit, reduce heat to 180 deg. C.

buzzy110, Jan 10, 4:30am
Welcome back pickles. Have you been on holiday?

pickles7, Jan 10, 11:57pm
Thank you buzzy. No, I got busy elsewhere.

kiwiscrapper1, Dec 25, 6:42am
Made Chelsea Winters 8 egg white pav, followed the recipe to the T. which is unusual for me! Its soft and loads of syrup seeping out! I have gone back to my 43 yr old recipe and its in the oven looking perfect. Really annoyed such a waste of ingredients, not sure what went wrong.

unknowndisorder, Dec 25, 8:37am
Eton mess for the fail.

Reading her site, there are a number of reasons, so have a read for yourself: http://chelseawinter.co.nz/pavlova/ (nearing the bottom of the blurb before the actual recipe) :)

merry Christmas and I am sure you'll have a lovely time :)

beaker59, Dec 25, 11:33pm
Well I made my first Pavlova today it looks really good though suspect its a bit hollow, looking forward to tasting it :)

Used the Chelsea sugar recipe from the web.

I am sure the ingredients aren't wasted Kiwiscraper chop it up and add it to the trifle or pour yogurt and fruit all over it and name it as a new dessert :)

Merry Christmas everyone

julie28, Dec 26, 10:18pm
I made the Chelsea Winter one today was really tasty though it did have syrup coming from bottom but our Kenwood Mixer does not reach bottom of bowl so may have had undissolved sugar

unknowndisorder, May 15, 1:06am
Not being a smart. , but you "probably" have an adjustment to drop the beater level. (there was a thread a year or two back about it, with someone not realising) :)