Blackcurrant drinks

janic1, Sep 17, 8:25am
please, a good recipe for blackcurrant drink. cheers

245sam, Oct 20, 1:43am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.
"Blackcurrant Cordial
I have made this drink for thirty years now, since my children were little. My husband and I now have it as a hot drink in winter at lunch time - better than the bought stuff. Nice cold with lemonade too. 900g (2lb) blackcurrants, 1.2 litres (2 pints) water, 28g (1oz) tartaric acid, sugar. Soak the blackcurrants, water and tartaric acid together for 24 hours. Strain off the liquid and mix cup for cup sugar and liquid. Bring to the boil and boil for 4 minutes or so. Cool and bottle. The fruit can be used three times; however on the third time use 14g (1/2oz) tartaric acid."
posted by lalagee

Blackcurrant Cordial Drink
1•5 Kg blackcurrants, 16 cups water, sugar, up to 1/4 cup liquid acetic acid (available from the chemist). Boil the blackcurrants and water together until soft. Strain overnight, then add an equal part of sugar to blackcurrant juice and boil until the sugar has dissolved. Add the acetic acid when cool, then bottle. Dilute with water when ready to drink.
posted by pauline64

Blackcurrant Cordial Drink
Economical and tasty, keeps at least 1 year. Every year I make a large lot up in January and it lasts until the next season. Have cold or have it hot in winter. It is great and I have never had a failure - toss out the fruit after the 2nd lot. 2•25 Kg (5 lbs) blackcurrants, 70g (2&1/2oz) tartaric acid, 2•4 litres (1/2 gallon/4 pints) cold water, sugar. Into a clean plastic bucket place the blackcurrants, tartaric acid and water – enough to cover the fruit well. Cover with a teatowel and leave for 24 hours, then strain off the juice and keep the fruit at this stage). To each 600ml (1 pint) juice add 3 large cups sugar. Boil for 1/2 hour, then bottle, cork or cap. Take the fruit and return it to the bucket, add water to cover and the tartaric acid, then do the same as before.
posted by raebea

Blackcurrant Syrup
2 Kg blackcurrants (no need to "top and tail"), 2 litres water, 500g granulated sugar per 600ml (1 pint) of fruit syrup. Bring the water to the boil and add the blackcurrants. Boil for 15 minutes. Put all into jelly bag and allow to drain for 12-24 hours into a large container - do not be tempted to squeeze, prod, poke or otherwise interfere with the jelly bag - this will result in a cloudy syrup. Measure the quantity of juice obtained. Pour the juice into a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the sugar, and stir constantly until it is dissolved. Boil for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool a little and pour into warm sterilised bottles. Seal tightly with corks or air-proof lids. To use:- dilute with appropriate quantity of water.
posted by mypeaches

Black/Red Currant Cordial
1·5 Kg red or blackcurrants, 4·5 litres water, 1·5 Kg-2 Kg sugar, 1 cup white vinegar. Boil until all the juice is out of the fruit - use a potato masher to squash the fruit in the saucepan. Strain through a sieve or colander. Pour the juice back into the saucepan and add the sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bottle and seal. Note: I check juice for sweetness and usually end up adding a lot less sugar than the recipe states but that is personal preference.
posted by bernice1"

Hope that helps. :-))