Pumpernickel recipe from lv Martin bread maker.

mottly, Nov 4, 7:59pm
Does anyone have this? Is the Best recipe I've ever found. No longer have the book :(

uli, Nov 5, 12:24am
I do not have that recipe - but you cannot make "pumpernickel" in a bread maker.

Pumpernickel takes about 12 hours in a low oven to bake. Would your bread maker do this?

mottly, Nov 5, 4:18am
Well that recipe was devine, best pumpernickel I've ever tasted. Had about 30 ingredients tho

unknowndisorder, Nov 5, 5:58am
Mottly, check out: http://members.tripod.com/~daley_bread/
He may well have it in his books (or flick him an email through the contact link) :)

daarhn, Nov 5, 7:13am
Love slices of 'devils fart' with cream cheese, dill, capers, and salmon.
Any dark heavy rye German bread I adore!

daarhn, Nov 5, 7:21am
Pumpernickel for your bread machine recipe

Ready in 4 hours

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/80663/bread-machine-pumpernickel-bread/

There are loads bread machine recipes for pumpernickel

uli, Nov 5, 11:06pm
It is a bit like "pizza" isn't it?
You give it a name that has been around for centuries but it has nothing to do with the original.

In that recipe of "pumpernickel" you get the colour via the molasses not via the slow 12 hour bake.

And while it probably tastes nice it is not pumpernickel.

Just as any old concoction of a mountain bread base with left overs from the fridge and a kilo of cheese on top do not make a pizza.

I had American visitors here that were disgusted with "pizza" in Italy (they were on a world tour) - "they do not know how to make pizza" they told me in outrageous tones. so there you go!

So why not say "brown bread" instead of "pumpernickel" or say "Kiwi Pie" instead of "pizza" then we all know it is something different.

I still hope OP loves his take on "pumpernickel".

Just be prepared this is not what you get once you go to Holland or Germany - it will be a very solid piece of bread - no fluffyness there at all (in fact around Christmas time you can sometimes buy the Original at Bin Inn or Pak'n'Save - imported from Europe). Just as you will not have spaghetti out of a tin or blue vein cheese and smoked chicken breast on a pizza when you go to Italy!

Happy baking!

mottly, Nov 6, 6:29am
Perhaps you should actually try it. its better flavoured than any I've bought

mottly, Nov 6, 6:30am
Thanks everyone, I'll sift through and see if I can suss the specific one :)

unknowndisorder, Nov 6, 8:13am
Check out the link I posted above. "Dale", who wrote the Daily Bread series, worked for LV Martin. I am thinking he may well have developed the recipes for their bread machine, or had influence with it, so may well be able to help with the recipe for the "obviously incorrectly" called pumpernickel bread you are after ;)

mottly, Nov 6, 7:52pm
Thankyou :). :). :) it looks very much like it!

lythande1, Nov 7, 1:45am
Have to agree with you there, pizza should be a thin bread cbase with the sauce, herb, cheese and at the extreme, maybe mushroom.
Nothing else.

Pumperknickel is made with rye only. So takes a while to cook and it isn't how I would define bread. it's more like a non-sweet cake. BUt there you go.

Caramel and stuff in it is even worse.

mottly, Nov 7, 8:28pm
Who puts caramel in it?

nauru, Jul 10, 6:45pm
Just looked in my More Daley Bread book, no pumpernickel recipe. Could be in his first book though, if anyone has a copy. There are several rye bread recipes if they area any good. Also, Alison Holst has a dark rye bread in her book, I can post the recipes if you are interested.