Best Yum Cha restaurants in Auck and Wellington?

valentino, Aug 20, 12:28am
Either Wakefield Street or in the viaduct basin in Auckland.

mike1364, Aug 20, 5:23am
Dragons in Tory street .Wellington Always good food

nauru, Aug 20, 7:30am
Big Thumb Chinese Restaurant Allen St Wellington. Always excellent food to be found there.

macb, Aug 20, 7:38am
Grand Harbour Auckland Viaduct

thornton1961, Aug 20, 8:54am
actually the Jade {something} at Sky City Auckland is pretty good, also no rush,
also they can validate your parking at Sky City down to $5. ask when you pay your bill.

sarahb5, Aug 20, 11:40am
I couldn't tell you the name of our favourite in Wellington - there's a pandora bakery on the corner though and it's not from from st James theatre

stefanie, Aug 20, 8:55pm
Grand century in Wellington (also on Tory Street).

fruitbat, Aug 20, 9:02pm
The Dragon. Tory St. I concur! Sticky rice, prawn and coriander dumplings, steamed pork buns, duck, sweet and sour pork, dim sims, rice rolls and that ice cream frozen in a dumpling. Hmmmmm!. jasmin-
e tea!

sarahb5, Aug 21, 12:13am
Actually this reminds me, I'm off to Wellington for WOW in October - good idea for lunch on Sunday I think

fey, Aug 21, 2:45am
Two for Big Thumb on Allen St in Wellington. They do yum cha every day. by menu during the week and on the big trolleys on the weekends. Reasonably priced.

twindizzy, Aug 21, 5:40am
Majestic - Wellington

duckmoon, Aug 21, 10:15am
agree. Or grand century , also in Tory street

stefanie, Aug 21, 9:12pm
I think that's the Regal. It used to be a lot better imo, but as another poster mentioned, often near cold food goes around, and they are very slow on filling the tea pot.

sarahb5, Aug 21, 9:37pm
Its probably a couple of years since I was there when daughter was still at uni down there but lots of Chinese families eating there which I think it always a good sign

mkbooks, Aug 21, 10:02pm
The Asian Wok at Browns Bay has great Yum Cha-place is always full of Chinese,which Chinese friends assure me is a GOOD sign

sarahb5, Aug 22, 12:05am
Google tells me it was actually Big Thumb - it was very handy for everywhere else we needed to get to on the Sunday as we went from there to the St James Theatre for the ballet

valentino, Aug 22, 1:04am
Agreed, Any place that the Chinese go to in great numbers has to be a very good indicator.

Cheers.

fxx99, Aug 22, 9:17am
They make their money on overcharging.

Dragons love giving you things you don't ask for or need and then charging you for them e.g. Chinese tea.

duckmoon, Aug 22, 10:42am
i think that is standard at a Chinese restaurant

stefanie, Aug 23, 6:15am
I don't think I had yum char there before, but we had eaten there and it was very good. some years ago now too.

brownscows, Dec 9, 12:16am
Alexandra Park in Auckland