Large chocolate cake recipe needed

bo0tsey, Sep 3, 8:36am
Help please!
I want to make this.
http://cdn.cakecentral.com/0/00/900x900px-LL-005043e5_gallery7839031341316156.jpeg And have a 9x13" pan which will apparently serve 20-24 people. I tried a packet cake mix and the cake was very thin, only approx 3-4cm high and I want something quite a bit higher if possible This is my first option at the moment but would love some advice http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/the-ultimate-chocolate-cake/279/
TIA :)

245sam, Sep 3, 8:55am
bo0tsey, I have made the Chocolate Coca Cola Cake
( http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php?3,111284,151143#msg-151143 - scroll down and look for Dawn's posting) in a deep tin that measured approximately 33cm x 22cm HOWEVER I am unsure if that cake would be firm enough for being iced as you intend - I used chocolate ganache.

The cake you're wanting to achieve is beautiful so. good luck - I hope it goes well for you and that the little person has a lovely very special birthday. :-))

sarahb5, Sep 3, 8:57am
You need Sophie Gray's recipe - at least I think it's hers or maybe Destitute Gourmet - its awesome

245sam, Sep 3, 9:03am
Is this the recipe you're thinking of sarahb5?

"Dana's Chocolate Cake from Sophie Gray (Destitute Gourmet) works a treat.
Very moist cake, freezes well, either process in food processor or put all in
bowl and beat together.
1 & 2/3 c flour
1 & 1/2 t baking soda
1 & 1/2 c sugar
2/3 c cocoa powder
1 t salt
1 & 1/2 c milk
100g butter, melted
2 eggs
1 t vanilla essence
Oven at 180 C, grease a 20cm loose-bottom cake tin and line bottom - it is a very liquid mix and you don't want it to leak! Put all ingredients into
processor and mix until smooth. Pour into tin, bake 50 min to 1 hour, check if done with skewer.
Quote leogal1 (80) 9:47 pm, Mon 26 Sep #8"

Hope that helps. :-))

mooshiesmum, Sep 3, 9:15am
I would like to recommend my Easy Rich Chocolate Cake recipe - it is very good for holding up to icing, a gorgeous flavour and texture and also great to cut shape if need be. I recently used it to make a lego cake and it worked really well. You will need to double or triple the quantities for a roasting dish sized cake.

http://justamumnz.com/2014/01/20/awesome-easy-rich-chocolate-cake/ Alternatively you can try this cake which is a regular one from the message board - it is much moister though & beautiful and for a roasting dish size.
http://justamumnz.com/2014/01/24/this-is-the-best-ever-chocolate-cake/

And this is the lego cake I made to show that you can get quite a bit of cake out of 3 x the first recipe - and that it is nice to cut down etc
http://justamumnz.com/2014/08/31/pieces-of-lego-cake/

sarahb5, Sep 3, 9:24am
Yep thats the one but I also bumped another one that I've made successfully

bo0tsey, Sep 3, 8:08pm
That lego cake looks great! Yum lol
Is it possible I might need two layers to get the height? I don't really want to do that, I'm not much of a baker so want to keep it simple if I can
So if I could just double your recipe that would work for me

mooshiesmum, Sep 3, 8:54pm
Yes I would say two layers - what are the dimensions of the cake you are wanting? I made another this weekened in two square pans and levelled them and stuck them together with buttercream and it was approx. 10cm or slightly more high. It is pretty simple - just make up 2 x the recipe, and bake in two square tins - at same time if you can or one after the other if not.(Or roasing dish if you have worked out that you can get both layers from the one cake) Then allow to cool completely - level the top of each cake so it is flat and level. Ice the bottom layer with buttercream, then invert the other cake (so that the two levelled bits face each other). Then cut both pieces so that they are the right shape for your cake, then crumb layer the whole thing in buttercream as I did for lego - then cover with your fondant. Check out youtube for covering square cakes in fondant I found this really helpful! Clear as Mud lol?

bo0tsey, Sep 3, 9:36pm
Thanks mooshiesmum yep clear as mud lol
I was following the directions on this website so have a 9 x 13" tin http://venuejar.com/birthday-cake-shaped-like-number-1/

bo0tsey, Sep 3, 9:41pm
Oh and with the fondant. is it royale/royalty/queen icing I want? I iced a fruit cake made by my grandma with some but definitely don't want that almond taste. I buy my groceries online so can't look at the box :)

sarahb5, Sep 3, 10:17pm
Just make sure you buy fondant icing and not almond icing - Pettinice is good or the one that Spotlight sells

245sam, Sep 3, 11:01pm
bo0tsey, this is the Pettinice that sarahb5 suggests and it can be bought on-line along with your other groceries. Have a look at:-
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/ProductDetails%3FStockcode%3D256609%26name%3Dbakel-pettinice-icing-white%26search%3Dpettinice

mooshiesmum, Sep 3, 11:50pm
It is such a pretty cake!

If you double the recipe of the easy rich chocolate cake on my blog it will be good and high - fill the pan to 3/4 full - grease or line the pan well. It will rise, and take longer to cook - but once it is springing back to the touch test it with a knife until it comes out clean. Any other questions just ask there are lots of lovely helpful people here!

bo0tsey, Sep 4, 8:26am
Thanks for the icing info, that was one of the ones I was looking at!

huca1, Sep 26, 11:52am
made this the other day for a party and the whole cake was eaten and people were asking for seconds.

thanks so much, it is so rewarding to see people like something you have made

cookessentials, Sep 26, 8:03pm
"Devils Food Cake Picnic Style
In a bowl, sift together 2 cups flour;1/2 tsp baking powder;1 3/4 tsp baking soda;1 3/4 cups sugar;2/3 cup cocoa;1 tsp salt. Add 2/3 cup soft butter,then pour in 1 cup water.1 tsp vanilla essence.Beat with electric mixer 2 mins on high.Add three eggs and beat 2 mins more on med.Pour into a 33x25x5cm oblong pan lined with greaseproof paper.Bake at 180c for 35-45 mins or until cooked.Ice cold in pan with deluxe choc icing.

Deluxe Choc Icing
Sift 2 2/3 cups icing sugar;1/3 tsp salt;1/4 cup cocoa add 1/2 cup soft butter and one egg yolk plus 1/3 cup hot water.Beat until smooth & easy to spread. This cake is moist and delicious and big!

This one is absolutely delicious. Have not made it for a few years, but it is a decent, moist cake.

poppy500, Sep 27, 8:38am
I made 50 large cupcakes with this recipe off here today. Lovely, moist, quick. Will definitely make again. Thanks to original poster. Makes huge cake or large no. Cupcakes. I made it in the blender, it just fit.

the best ever has to be hooksies64 cake
i make it at least twice a month and yesterday into 56 cupcakes
1 large bowl all in wizz-easy!
3.5 cup plain flour
3.5 cup sugar
1.5 cup cocoa
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 cup oil
1tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder

2cups of boiling water at the end

throw it all in a huge bowl, use a electri mixer or hand mixer and wizz till smooth
then add 2 cups boiling water wizz again_ its a very runny mix

pour into 2 large cake tins (sometimes a loaf tin as well)
or a roasting dish and bake 150 fan for an hour
or 160 for 15 mins does cupcakes and lots of them!

perfect with chocolate buttercream icing
125 soft butter
3 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder(or more if you like)
2-4 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla ess
wizz till pale fluffy and for cupcakes pipe on and sprinkle with chopped white or dark choc
yum!

Edited by pheebs1 at 12:21 pm, Tue 27 Nov

bev00, Sep 27, 12:23pm
too good to lose .

macandrosie, Sep 28, 4:33am
This can be made in a roasting pan, lovely & moist.
Big Chocolate Cake
200 gr butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tub yoghurt
2 tsp inst coffee dissolved in 1 cup hot water
2 cups sr flour
½ cup cocoa
2 tsp b soda
Mix together butter, sugar, eggs, coffee mixture & yoghurt. Add dry ingreds. Spray & line a roasting pan with baking paper. Pour mixture into it. Bake @ 160°c for 40 mins. When cool, ice with chocolate icing.

zsazsa777, Sep 21, 3:04am
Soonafai's Chocolate Cake

2 cups caster sugar
3 cups self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ cup cocoa
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ cups cooking oil
1 egg 

Combine all dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat the 3 egg whites until stiff.
In a separate bowl, combine milk and vinegar, then add the rest of the wet ingredients, including the whole egg and three egg yolks, and beat.
Mix wet and dry ingredients together, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
Pour into two well-greased or baking-paper-lined cake tines about 20-23 cm. Can do in one large roasting pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 180ºC. Cool on a wire rack.
(It freezes well.)
Whipped cream and icing of your choice for finishing cake.
To serve, pile whipped cream on one cake, place the other cake on top and ice - try chocolate frosting.