4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp gluten
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast, not sure to rise.
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 & 1/4 cups cold water
1 cup of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

I use two loaf tins, 12cm x 21cm x 6cm
I did paint the tins with tin glide.
Tin glide:
melt 4 ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
Add water, milk and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, it is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Spoon the dough into the tins evenly. Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over both tins, so as it does not come in contact with the dough at all. Leave for at least 2 hours to near double in size.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 180 deg C
5. Bake 45 to 55 minutes . Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool.
Do not slice until cold.

A pic of this bread can be seen here.

http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/

wendalls, Jul 10, 9:57am
Yes it does taste like vogels.

pickles7, Jul 10, 10:41am
Vogels has got very soft, this recipe is a little firmer. I am sure you will be impressed. If you click onto the pic of the bread you will see the texture.

pickles7, Jul 10, 10:50am
It is moisture without the chia seeds. wendalls. I did not put them in the bread in the pic. I have removed them now from the recipe as I do feel the texture is nicer without them.

seaspray1, Jul 10, 4:34pm
We're in the UK on holiday at the moment - you can buy Vogels at Sainsburys.

boakes, Jul 12, 12:04am
The recipe doesn't have chai seeds in it?

pickles7, Jul 12, 8:15am
wow ! I have just cut into this bread, it is delightful. I feel the new recipe is by far the best yet. The last thing I want to do to this recipe is to increase it to fill the loaf tins a bit better.
I have updated the pic as well.

cookessentials, Jul 12, 11:55pm
shame about the photos on that blog, makes everything look really un-appetising.

cookessentials, Jul 13, 3:22am
I just didn't think they looked at all nice to be honest. A bit like looking at those awful retro food pictures from the 70's.

katalin2, Jul 13, 7:02am
Thanks for the amended recipe pickles. Will try it when I get back from holiday. I have been making the bread in the slow cooker, can't remember who posted it, and that comes out similar to vogels as well. I think your photos are just fine, please ignore the criticisms. I thought recipes was over the nastiness, but obviously not.

pickles7, Jul 13, 8:08am
"Holiday" you are the lucky one. Enjoy what ever you do and wherever you go.
If you appreciate the texture of Vogels bread, you will be well pleased. I saved the slow cooker bread recipe, I have not made it yet, but will one day.

cookessentials, Jul 13, 11:38pm
Sorry, did not realise it was a personal blog of someone here! Didn't think we were allowed to give links to personal sites etc. I thought it was some random blog site. I'm sure people will enjoy the recipes anyway.

pickles7, Jul 13, 11:41pm
"Vogels bread. Texture re-visited"

½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp gluten
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast, not sure to rise.
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 & 1/4 cups cold water
1 cup of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

I use two loaf tins, 12cm x 21cm x 6cm
I did paint the tins with tin glide.
Tin glide:
melt 4 ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
Add water, milk and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, it is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Spoon the dough into the tins evenly. Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over both tins, so as it does not come in contact with the dough at all. Leave for at least 2 hours to near double in size.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 180 deg C
5. Bake 45 to 55 minutes . Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool.
Do not slice until cold.

A pic of the texture of this bread, can be seen here.

http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/#!/2013/03/vogel-type-breadrevisited-texture.html

katalin2, Jul 14, 1:44am
Looks good pickles, can't wait to try it, will need to get a second loaf pan though. If you try the slow cooker recipe, I have a large oval one. I turn the temperature on to high to heat up, oil it really well, then put in the shaped and kneaded dough in and turn it off, don't lift lid at any time once dough in. I let it rise till doubled in size, about an hour, then turn it back on high for the stated 2 hours. If my yeast is fresh enough, it fills up the whole of my 6 litre cooker, so makes a huge loaf. Other times it is smaller and denser which is just as good. Thank you for holiday wishes, can't wait to have some reading time in slightly warmer climate. Looks like next week good one to be away!

wendalls, Jul 14, 9:45am
Ok so it's probably my yeast which I bought specially for this recipe which makes my loaves dense. They are always rectangular shaped. I have never put in chia seeds anyway - didnt have any. I never get more than 4 holes in the dough which are I assume the bubbles I'm supposed to get. I leave It for ages to rise but nothing much happens.

sandhu, Jul 14, 9:47am
Thanks pickles great recipe.I made it today and my whole family loved it.

lilyfield, Jul 14, 10:05am
I made it and used my usual sure to rise yeast,but doubled the amount, super fantastic easy bread.

pickles7, Jul 14, 12:03pm
This link should take you to the right to the pic of the texture of the bread. I think it is way better.

http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/vogel-type-breadrevisited-texture.html

griffo4, Jul 15, 5:12am
are you talking about the vogels type slow cooker one that was on here a year or 2 back? l never did a rise with mine l just kneaded it then threw it in on high for 2 hrs but if you prove it first then cook l might have to go and try that again

Pickles that recipe works great with the sour dough starter and l still have the chia seeds in but l put in 1/4 cup more water and love it

blyme_jerv, Jul 15, 9:35pm
I thought that the recipes looked really impressive. thanks for sharing

pickles7, Jul 15, 11:48pm
Thank you.
The texture of Vogel's, is what I was striving for, I have managed to do, just that. As I add other bits and bobs to the recipe I will share in here.

dancegal, Jul 17, 3:26am
I made this recipe. Closest to Vogels I've tasted. Fabulous texture. A new favourite. Thank you.

pickles7, Jul 17, 1:27pm
Glad that you liked it. I can remember that bread coming onto the market, a long time ago now, lol.
This recipe has made my breadmaker redundant.

pickles7, Jul 18, 4:54am
This bread does not toast well, I had to put the toaster up on 5, and still toast it three times. It was very nice though, when it was toasted. I would not myself, add sugar or honey, just to make it easier to toast.

buzzy110, Jul 18, 5:09am
Hi Pickles. Do you have a great scone recipe that doesn't use self-raising flour which taints the flavour of anything cooked with it and leaves a furry, oxalic taste in the mouth after you've finished eating anything made with it?