Why did my cheese sauce separate?

datoofairy, Aug 22, 9:06pm
I made scalloped potatoes, the same way I always make them. But for some reason the cheese sauce sort of separated while it was in the oven. It still tasted ok but it was a weird texture and I didnt like it. Does anyone know why that happened, so I can prevent it happening again?

korbo, Aug 22, 9:45pm
what type of milk did you use. I made a rice pudding (see on here(, and the milk went all curdly.
not sure why

malcovy, Aug 22, 9:49pm
It's best to use full fat milk or homogenised. I made a baked rice pudding using skim milk and it seperated. I was told skim milk was the reason and the next time I made the pudding I used blue top and no seperation.

datoofairy, Aug 22, 9:51pm
Just the usual blue top milk I always use. With the same cheese as always, half edam, half tasty.
I always make the cheese sauce first, and then stir in chopped bacon, onion and garlic that has been lightly sautéed.
I really dont think I did anything any differently to the numerous other times I've made this. But something went wrong.
Maybe it was because I was looking forward to eating it so much! Such a disappointment.

jaky, Aug 22, 11:38pm
Was the sauce too hot when you added the cheese? Best to make your white sauce, take it off the heat for a few minutes then add your cheese. This was the reason mine split - only the once ;)

pinnochio1, Aug 22, 11:44pm
You won't solve that problem in receipes,you need to see a doctor.
Possible early sign of Elsheimers. lol

wendalls, Aug 23, 5:15am
Recipes
Alzheimer's
Pinocchio
Shouldn't you be out chopping wood?

kara101, Dec 11, 5:08pm
could have been the amount of water in the bacon? Different brand of bacon used?