Stainless Steel Coffee Plungers

sez1980, Aug 5, 10:39pm
Hi Everyone,
I'm not sure where to post this so thought I would start here.
Would anyone know where to get a 1.5L Stainless Steel coffee plunger from? The ones at Briscoes only go to 1L and I need it a wee bit bigger. I've looked on Google and found one - but it's in Australia.
Thanks heaps

lenart, Aug 5, 10:55pm
Although I don't drink coffee now, but I used to drink it for decades, and I would never consider buying stainless steel plunger or coffee cups. I's really affects the taste of coffee, gives it a metallic hint. I would only use a glass plunger. Lately I've been brewing coffee in an enameled pot.

uli, Aug 6, 2:03am
Your glass plunger would have a stainless steel part to "plunge" surely?
You do not get a plunger made entirely out of glass?

uli, Aug 6, 2:12am

uli, Aug 6, 2:18am

tjman, Aug 6, 2:54am
Sylvia park, Homeware Store or Acquisitions?

tjman, Aug 6, 2:55am
I have a stainless steel coffee is fine. Double insulated too so stays nice and hot

nauru, Aug 6, 8:28am
Also try Stevens, I'm sure that I've seen them in different sizes there.

awoftam, Aug 6, 9:06am
Stainless shouldn't affect taste at all. in fact most coffee machines are made of it., as far as I know. My plunger is stainless as is my espresso and my coffee is yum - and not just in my opinion

unknowndisorder, Aug 6, 9:17am
I will need to go to S.P. tomorrow, at a guess. whereabouts is Acquisitions? (I generally go PNS, book shops, Homeware store, Stevens and bank).

Happy to look for you OP, can let you know if they have and price.

Or what about two 800ml (Briscoes)?

sez1980, Aug 6, 11:34pm
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I'm looking for a couple of big ones as they are for serving coffee after our regular church services. Our glass inserts keep getting broken and needing replaced, so I thought stainless steel ones would be the way to go.
We currently have these ones http://kirkcaldies.co.nz/Homewares/kitchen/coffee-and-tea-makers/plunger/chambord-coffee-maker-12c-1-5l/ and I bought http://www.briscoes.co.nz/kitchen/tea-and-coffee/plungers/1042122/Zip-Pinnacle-1000ml-Stainless-Steel-Double-Wall-Plunger.html yesterday but the stainless one is just that wee bit too small.

beaker59, Aug 7, 6:06am
Funnily enough I had the exact same search earlier this year, unsuccessfully. Then I mentioned the fruitless search to my wife she said we already have one stored away and sure enough after a brief look in the garage she appeared with one that had been in storage for years.

Fully stainless plunger essential for the boat as unbreakable and can be kept warm on the gas stove.

We now enjoy real coffee on the boat :) wish I could go out more often.

unknowndisorder, Aug 7, 7:48am
Had a look at Homeware Store - they have one BUT $210. didn't see any at Acquisitions.
the other place to look at is Living and Giving.
https://www.mooch.co.nz/p/684/Planetary-Table-Top-Press-1500ml.aspx Is in queenstown

glasshalfull, Aug 7, 8:10am
we have two of those. Fantastic. Wouldn't have anything else. Coffee stays hot for hours!

nzpcltd, Aug 7, 8:40pm
Re tainting of coffee from stainless. steel. we cook in stainless steel pots and I cant recall people saying it spoiled the taste of food so why coffee? Just wondering

sez1980, Aug 7, 10:39pm
Awesome! Thank you! That's pretty pricey at $210. I'm based in Dunedin so getting something across from Queenstown probably isn't too bad really. That's also the same price we are paying for our glass inserted plungers.

unknowndisorder, Aug 8, 8:40am
Pretty pricey? I thought if I couldn't find something about half that price, I would import one, if I needed it. (I think our camping plunger is 1l but it might be bigger - was the biggest I could find - we did not trust us not to break a glass one, so gave that to mates).

moparpete, Jan 14, 1:04am
Hi, there are some stainless steel coffee plunger listed here in TradeMe under the tea and coffee section. Different holding capacity. Have a look to see if anything suits your need.