Salad for 2

calista, Dec 19, 11:05pm
I am having Christmas dinner at a friend's house and am making the salads. Not much work as there are only 2 of us. My friend is a rather conventional eater so I thought I would make a traditional lettuce and mixed spring vegetable salad, as well as taking some of Toady's rice salad, which shouldn't push his boundaries too far.
As am transporting things by bus (just across town) I was thinking about buying bagged lettuce from the supermarket and putting the salad together when I get there (which I thought would be fresher than the night before).

How long does the bagged lettuce keep? Would I be safe to buy it on Wednesday and keep it in the fridge until Christmas day?

I always feel clueless when I prepare food for other people like this as I am used to pleasing myself and it doesn't matter if I stuff up.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

245sam, Dec 19, 11:19pm
calista, just another thought. I'm assuming by "bagged lettuce" that you mean the loosely packed lettuce leaves?
If so because you are needing to transport the salads by bus have you thought of buying a prepackaged salad e.g. http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/ProductDetails%3FStockcode%3D747389%26name%3Dfresh-produce-fresh-harvest-salad-garden-style%26search%3Dsalad or one of the other variants that are available at most, if not all, supermarkets. Those salads are packaged, obviously, for being carried and would alleviate any worries for you re the salad greens getting squashed. Although more expensive IMO much better than trying to carry the loosely packed greens.

Just a thought - hope that helps and that you have a lovely Christmas. :-))

dk33, Dec 20, 2:34am
Yes, if you buy it on Wednesday it will keep until Friday. You could assemble the salad i.e. do all the chopping, grating, whatever, the day before but just don't dress it. Take the dressing in a separate container and dress it when you get there.

calista, Dec 20, 5:03am
Thank-you both for taking the time to answer. I'm always amazed how straightforward arrangements can be when I stop panicking. Sometimes just asking for ideas clears away the fog.

I hope you both have a fantastic Christmas.

tui93, Dec 20, 6:08am
2 people sounds like magic :-). This year my husband and I are thinking of just being on our own for Christmas lunch and going to a small family gathering for tea. Bliss.

fifie, Dec 20, 9:04am
Google salad in a jar, dressing in bottom then layer your combos to fill jar. Lid on pop into your bag for bus journey, tip jar upside down into bowl till empty give salad a quick toss.

calista, Dec 21, 4:39am
It's great. We are friends who have known each other for about 35 years. We have shared Christmas dinner for most of the time since then, even when we didn't live in the same city, as we do now. We have mainly gone out for meals in the past, but this year we are self-catering.

Fifie - the salad in a jar looks fascinating -thanks

esther-anne, Mar 18, 1:58am
Calista - for myself I have got to say that I don't like those prepared salads n a plastic bag from the supermarket. I embraced them with great enthusiasm when they became available (sorry I don't mean the whole made-up salads - I am. thinking more of the prepared lettuces) and now I feel they have a somewhat 'odd' taste . I love the romano/cos lettuce and they first appeared bagged nicely some months ago. Now we can get the loveliest romano and cos without being in a prepared pack I love to get the baby cos hearts with a small handful of mesculin to mix.
What I intended to say is that I still do the what is considered old fashioned English salad which has spring onions, radishes. cucumber and sliced boiled free range eggs, dressed with mayonaisse. (Heinz of course lol). As a nod to modernity I do like to add slivers of any colour capsicum and lots of sliced red onion - and now only use a French dressing - the rest of the family still love dollops of mayonnaise.
If I were going on a bus I would place the lettuce and radishes and spring onion, chopped and prepared into the lettuce into a plastic dish with a lid but carry the tomatoes and cucumber and other more 'wet' ingredients. tomatoes and cucumber separately, then quickly prepare and toss those ingredients. along with the previously cooked hard boiled eggs into the salad with a light dressing of your choice.

Now - how boringly easy is that?