I saw this on tv and tried it. It was easy and yum. I have made it with both cooking Marg and butter and I prefer the cooking marg only because it doesn't taste so rich but the choice is yours. Make sure you have everything at room temp before you start. You can also make this into a vanilla sponge. Just leave out the lemon and add vanilla.
Ingredients For the cake •225 g Cooking Margarine or Butter, softened •225 g caster sugar •275 g self-raising flour •2 tsp baking powder •4 eggs •4 tbsp milk •2 lemons, grated zest only
For the crunchy topping •175 g granulated sugar •2 lemons, juice only
1. Cut a rectangle of non-stick baking parchment to fit the base and sides of a 30 x 20 x 4 cm roasting tin. Grease the tin and line with the paper, pushing it neatly into the corners of the tin. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Measure all the ingredients for the tray bake into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes, until well blended.
3. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula to remove all of the mixture. Level the top gently with the back of the spatula.
4. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 35-40 minutes (Check at 25 min), or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and is beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
5. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes then lift it out of the tin while still in its lining paper. Carefully remove the paper and put the tray bake onto a wire rack placed over a tray.
Since the public registrations are closed, you must have an invite from a current member to be able to register and post in this thread.
Have an account? Login here.