Weber BBQ

petmacorpltd, Jan 4, 8:02pm
Was given a Weber for Christmas. Only the "Baby" unfortunately! Do any Weber uses have some tried and true recipes for me? particularly marinated chicken. Thanks

eljayv, Jan 4, 8:33pm
My sister purchased one recently and got it with the high dome lid that has the thermometer on front. She has cooked roast pork, burger patties, steak etc. on it.

nzdoug, Jan 4, 8:39pm

rarogal, Jan 4, 8:56pm
No experience here, but a friend has the baby one and loves it!

coolnzmum, Jan 4, 9:17pm
Have a large one and best bar b que we have had. 90 % of our roast are cooked in it all year round and has to be really wet and cold for steak to be cooked inside on stove :-)

beaker59, Jan 5, 1:36am
I use the plain 22inch charcoal and it is the most versatile BBQ you can use. Just standard BBQing is easy and obvious, Chicken is easy because you can cook through easily just put the lid on. Roasts are great as already discussed cooked long and slow some of the best roasts are the fatty cheap cuts like pork or mutton shoulder salt well then roast for 4 or more hours bigger roasts are best. Its not Christmas in our house until the pork shoulder roast comes off the webber.

My son has one of the smaller ones and it does a good roast too just smaller, great for roasting chickens.

Edit to add also great for smoking fish or home made bacon, just start small fire then load with chunks of smoking wood like teatree or fruitwood (currently using a plum tree I cut down 2 yrs ago) then lay salted and sugared fish out on rack cover with open vents and smoke for an hour.

priscilla2, Jan 5, 2:47am
I bought the medium one a week ago so am still learning here but have done a lamb roast,steaks.chicken thighs which came out nice and juicy without being marinated.Tonight I am going to do roast chicken that is in the book.Love it and the meat is so good.

beaker59, Jan 5, 3:45am
By medium sized do you mean the 22inch?

Because if so I think that in the plain charcoal size is probably the best BBQ ever designed, so versatile.

petmacorpltd, Jan 5, 4:34am
Have the Annabel Langbein brined chicken soaking at the moment in readiness for the Weber. Having zucchini fritters, potato salad, corn and mango salsa and green salad to go with it. Beautiful sunny evening in Chch.

wron, Jan 5, 10:00am
Did you look at the DVD that would have come with it - they're on the website too, short and really useful clips, about 2 minutes, cover virtually everything including pizzas and desserts.
But there are a few accessories you'll find invaluable, especially the trivet and the alum. trays with the holes in them, also pizza stone, all covered in the DVD.
The distributers must be making a mint, I know so many people who've got one recently, one friend now has 2, one for his bach. We also carry our one in our camper.
Just for interest look them up in a recent Consumer mag, (all libraries have them) all 3 sizes get top marks.

nala2, Jan 6, 6:07am
We purchased a charcoal Weber 22inch. we have not used it yet but were a bit taken back by the the amount of charcoal needed as the book suggested.
It did not have the " alum. baskets" and they are $50 a pair but I think they maybe a good idea, but we are wondering how much charcoal people are using.

timbo69, Jan 6, 7:59pm
I would say Briquettes not coal

priscilla2, Jan 6, 11:00pm
No I mean't the medium gas (Q2200)one with the thermostat.

beaker59, Jan 6, 11:02pm
Sorry I forgot Webber make those gas ones as well. In USA they call those "gas grills" not BBQ's.

beaker59, Feb 9, 1:49am
You definitely need the baskets with charcoal which is my choice for flavor. Baskets also essential for smoking, you can get away without baskets with briquettes by stacking them neatly at the sides my brother does OK with that method but I prefer baskets and charcoal.