Fav salmon recipes

awoftam, Nov 8, 10:24pm
I just love salmon - raw is amazing and I always eat it rare. I have made this several times and it is really delicious (I have c&p from the recipe I use on the internet):

Serves 2
2 salmon fillets
1 thumb of ginger, grated
1 red chilli, roughly chopped
A handful of coriander, chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
A few drops of sesame oil
Juice of half a lime

– Sling together the ginger, chilli, coriander, soy, sesame oil and lime juice and slip the salmon in like an otter from a riverbank. Marinate for an hour.

– Brush off the marinade before frying the salmon in a hot pan for a couple of minutes on each side. We ate ours with noodles and pak choi and it was banging. Oh, and the marinade of course.

If anyone else has a fav to share I'd appreciate it.

Am going to make salmon gravlax for our Chrissy picnic this year. I have been promising myself to make it for about 5 years now!

davidt4, Nov 8, 10:29pm
Our favourite way of preparing salmon is to hot-smoke it. I cure a boned skin-on fillet for 4 - 5 days in a mixture of salt, honey and Bourbon, rinse it off, dry it for an hour then smoke it for 10 - 12 minutes so it is not quite cooked through.

Gravlax (unsliced) is delicious when hot-smoked too.

whitehead., Nov 8, 10:36pm
fish cakes

awoftam, Nov 9, 12:33am
I will try the smoking - always do kahawai but have never home smoked salmon before! Good idea.

samanya, Nov 9, 6:44am
My faves is one of Annabel Langbein's earlier recipes from he 'with fork & spoon' book . it's simple & very fresh tasting.
http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/850601/seared-sesame-salmon-on-udon

samanya, Nov 9, 7:01am
Damn . the method is not in the link. so further to the above . method!
Basically you brush one side of the salmon with egg white, coat with black & white sesame seeds (if you haven't got the black sesame seeds, no worries, white will do) Sear for 30 seconds on high heat. Place seed side up in a single layer on tray & refrigerate immediately. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
Prepare noodles according to pkt directions adding 1 tsp oil to prevent sticking. Slice each piece of salmon into 3-4 equal slices & pop on a greased or baking paper lined tray, slightly overlapping & bake for 3-4 minutes until the salmon is heated through.
Mix noodles with nori, spring onions & 3/4 of the Japanese dressing.
Lift the salmon slices & arrange on top of the noodles & spoon over the rest of the dressing.
Japanese dressing.
Mix together in a small jar
3tbs rice wine or white vinegar, 3 tabs salad type oil, 2 tabs water, 1 tab soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil.
I often don't bother with the baking bit, if I'm only cooking for one . I do the rest but just carefully cook the salmon fillet in the frypan. It's delish.

awoftam, Nov 9, 7:06am
Ahhhh yes, I have black and white seeds. Thank you for taking the time to post all that! Another recipe to add to the list of things I want to cook.

samanya, Nov 9, 7:17am
It's simple, quick, tasty & quite impressive if you have guests! (as are most of Annabel's dishes)

jenny791, Nov 10, 8:14am
,Annabelle White's recipe, is my all time favourite way to cook salmon.

Heavenly Salmon

500 grams salmon.
Marinate in the following: 1tbsp Dijon Mustard, 1tbsp Mirren, 2Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp. brown sugar,1 tsp sesame oil. Mix together, and leave salmon to marinate for a few hours.
Wrap in foil and bake in moderate oven for 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon fillet.
Alternatively, fry it in a little ricebran oil, and caramelise the sugars. Either way, its delicious.
I serve it with salad. Enjoy.

awoftam, Nov 14, 6:22am
Are you able to tell me amounts for a side, maybe 1 kilo? Keen to do this for Xmas.

davidt4, Nov 14, 8:28am
For a large side of salmon I'd use about half a cup each of pure salt and honey plus enough Bourbon to make it into a thick paste - not much, maybe 3 tsp. I use Murray River salt or Marlborough sea salt. The quantities are very flexible and you certainly don't need the vast quantities that many recipes prescribe. Just spread the paste evenly over the fish and turn it once a day.

daarhn, Nov 14, 8:43am
attaching bib to gob to collect the drool.

awoftam, Nov 14, 9:27am
Many thanks Davidt4. Will def be giving this a go in about 3 weeks!

aj.2., Nov 14, 9:29am
Au Gratin Salmon .
Take your fillet of salmon , de bone it. And remove skin.
Then poach it in water with a bit of Lemon juice in it,,
Till it is almost cooked, does not take long,
Then drain all the water off.
Place grated cheese over the top,
Then place under grill.
When the cheese has browned a bit, serve and Enjoy.
In the past I found grilled salmon, the oil came to the top and was a bit strong .
But by Poaching the fish that oil wash's away, so you don't have the heavy taste.
I poach my fish in a fry pan that can go straight under the grill , but if you need to , poach it in one pan, then drain , transfer to a oven dish for grilling.

sampa, Nov 14, 10:52am
Decadence be thy name! We've not long finished enjoying our most recently home smoked salmon but this adds a whole new dimension. I shall share with hubby (who will be only too happy to comply) and indulge.

Thank you.

bisloy, Nov 15, 1:03am
I am plain and simple .
Pan fry then drizzle over soy sauce and chives.
Serve with plain lettuce salad (tomato, carrot, cucumber and celery), tiger bread and raspberry or boysenberry vinegarette.
So delicious, a family fave!

molly37, Nov 15, 2:13am
I've ordered a whole smoked salmon for xmas from some fancy butchery. Thought it be nice for a change. Not sure what i'll do with it, just have it as it is with salads. Is there a nice dressing for salmon? Or is the strong flavour enough.

awoftam, Nov 17, 2:14am
I would imagine it would depend on what was used on the fish before it was smoked, molly37. A nice olive oil drizzed across it can be awesome; however in my mind it is awesome to demolish it on its own as it is very rich.

davidt4, Nov 17, 2:28am
I like this Danish mustard and dill sauce on smoked salmon.

Dill & Mustard Sauce

2 egg yolks
1 tab white sugar
2 tab Dijon mustard
200ml fruity olive oil
2 tab white wine vinegar
salt
white pepper
1 tab dried dill weed/2 tab fresh dill

Whisk egg yolks, sugar and mustard until frothy, gradually whisk in oil until thick. Whisk in vinegar, salt , pepper and dill. Leave to stand 30 min to develop flavours, check seasoning.

awoftam, Nov 17, 5:41am
Would you use this on the recipe for smoking that you posted, davidt4, or for something 'plain' smoked?

new..me, Dec 2, 2:39am
Just good old brown sugar here. nothing else needed. beautiful

davidt4, May 20, 9:45am
Sorry, I seem to have missed this query. I put that dill sauce with every kind of fish - smoked, raw, fried, poached - it's delicious.