A bucket of plums, how to use without sugar?

omaria, Jan 7, 9:39am
Anyone have any suggestions what I can do with them without using sugar? And if you do, can you tell me how?

village.green, Jan 7, 9:44am
We have a plum tree with heaps on it and yes we did preserve some making jam which of course uses sugar, however hubby bottled some and I don't think you need sugar for that (not sure how he did sorry). I stewed some with no added water or sugar and they kept in the fridge for about a week and were delicious just as a snack or dessert, I don't see why you couldn't freeze them like that. I had a bowl of them and counted 20 stones and don't think I coud've eaten that many of them fresh like that and no I didn't get the runs or anything ha ha!

omaria, Jan 7, 9:56am
Would gelatine work to make them into some jelly and still freeze them?

susan21, Jan 7, 6:21pm
Pop them into a bag, and straight into the freezer, until you can find a sugarless recipe. You can take them out as you need them.

nzdoug, Jan 7, 6:57pm
Put them in a bowl on a table.
They disappear quickly around here.

village.green, Jan 7, 7:53pm
Asked hubby this morning and he bottles them without sugar, however you need suitable containers, say large Agee bottles to put them in or just large jars. Basically boiled for a few minutes and put into sterilised jars. We also do this with feijoas.

lilyfield, Jan 7, 8:53pm
In all my bottling years i have never added sugar to anything.

Except jam of course

buzzy110, Jan 7, 8:55pm
What. Not even pickles or relishes?

omaria, Jan 7, 9:31pm
Usually only hubby and myself here and hubby doesn't eat them. I don't have enough toiletpaper to eat a whole bucket LOL

lilyfield, Jan 7, 11:19pm
Don't do pickles etc or sauces

wildflower, Jan 8, 2:41am
I've got plenty of preserved plums I've done without sugar but they tend to be a lot more sour that way than eating fresh unlike pears and feijoas which seem to still be sweet enough. I think the plum skins make them sour after cooking.

lythande1, Jan 8, 2:47am
Sugar is actually used as a preservative.
I guess you could without it - but you'd have to be a lot stricter with the sterilising and it won't keep as long.

deraz, Jan 8, 2:59am
Find a recipe for spiced plums. Are you able to use Stevia instead of sugar?
You could always give them away to your friends and neighbors.

wildflower, Jan 9, 2:41am
We're using pears, apples and feijoas I stewed 2 years ago without sugar now and they're just fine. Fruit contains it's own sugar after all. Plenty of canned fruit processed only in natural juices too.

mouse265, Jan 9, 3:42am
Give them to the kids next door and let them have a plum fight

tessie2, Jan 9, 8:50pm
Years ago we had a place with lots of fruit trees. We used to wash and bag the plums whole in freezer bags. Take out a bag or 2 as needed for stewing, jam etc. The apples were peeled, cored and quarteded. When we moved we had a freezer full of frozen plums and apples. I think the last bag was used about 3 years later. Still tasted ok once cooked.

jbsouthland, Jan 30, 3:45pm
Stew plums . cool then add to diced pineapple . stick blend or whizz . add juice of two limes after pressing thru a sieve to remove fibre. freeze in ice block molds . yummmm