Best moist full grain bread recipes please!

tielfan, Jun 26, 9:12am
My auntie has passed away very suddenly taking her beautiful moist full grain bread recipe with her (she'd used it so long it was in her head). I used to watch her make it when I was really small and when I visited her as an adult she always had a loaf. Stupidly, I never asked for the recipe. I can't find anything that replicates it but commerically the Purebread Full O'Grain is as close as I can get. I know it's vegan but beyond that I can't find anything close to it on Google. Does anyone have a most full grain vegan bread recipe they'd like to share with me please?

mjhdeal, Jun 26, 5:49pm
Sorry to hear about your auntie.

I am unfamiliar with the purebread you mentioned, but this vegan bread recipe is delicious. I have made it with both the rolled oats, and a gluten free version with quinoa flakes. Put it in the fridge after it has cooled, the next day it is very easy to slice. Then I freeze it.

http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

tielfan, Jun 27, 1:52am
Thanks guys, I'm going to give mjhdeal's a go. Unfortunately the milk powder makes it a non-vegan bread and I know for definite Auntie made vegan bread.

mjhdeal, Jun 27, 4:47am
If you make it, come back and give your verdict!

nauru, Jun 27, 5:47am
Yes, I would be interested to hear your opinion on this bread too so please follow up with a review.

geldof, Jun 27, 6:37am
I second this one, and I know someone else who makes a loaf of it every two days.

I also make mine GF by taking out the rolled oats and putting half quinoa flakes and half almond meal.

tielfan, Jun 27, 10:41pm
Okay I'm going to try and make this next week. At the moment I have two five year olds with roaring temps and sore throats, which throws everything up in the air.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 1:42am
I am a fan of Anabelle Langbeins "Busy Peoples Bread"

Makes: 2 loaves
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50–60 minutes

You will need
500ml boiling water
4 tsp honey
500ml cold water
7 tsp dry yeast granules
400g strong white flour
400g wholemeal flour
3 tsp salt
250g sunflower seeds
4 tbsp pumpkin seeds

Method
1. Preheat oven to just 80˚C/gas mark ¼ and grease and line two 25 x 10 centimetre loaf tins with baking paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix the boiling water with the honey to dissolve. Add the cold water and yeast and put to one side for 10 minutes.

3. Whisk the yeast mixture then add white and wholemeal flour, salt and sunflower seeds and mix with a large spoon until evenly combined. (The mixture will be a very loose, wet batter.)

4. Divide mixture between prepared loaf tins, spread evenly and flatten the top. Sprinkle two tablespoons of pumpkin seeds over the top of each loaf and, run a sharp knife through the top of each loaf in at least three or four places so it rises evenly without splitting.

5. Bake for 20 minutes at 80˚C/gas mark ¼ and then turn up the oven to 210 ̊C/gas mark 6 and bake for a further 30–40 minutes.

6. When cooked, the loaves will sound hollow when tapped. Turn out of the tins while still hot and leave to cool.
It is super easy to make.

samanya, Jul 16, 2:01am
That sounds simple CE . no proving time?

animal_rescue, Jul 16, 2:10am
Yesterday I was given some of the above "busy peoples bread" to try. Being vegan, I thought "great!". The texture and consistency was very good, it was definitely moist, like fresh vogels. But to me it had a very strong yeasty flavour which I didn't like at all. And looking at the recipe now, and seeing it asks for SEVEN teaspons of yeast for 800gr of flour, I can now see why!

cookessentials, Jul 16, 2:27am
No, which is great for busy people! I have not noticed it tasting "yeasty" I love it and it is delicious toasted.

geldof, Jul 16, 2:28am
animal_rescue, try the other one, it is worth it.
post 3. Stays fresh for ages and makes gorgeous toast.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 3:14am
This one rise linseed bread from Alyson Gofton is lovely. I used to make it years ago when I was really in to making my own bread more regularly.

Ingredients

1¼ tsp dried yeast or 4 tsp Surebake yeast

1 cup warm water or milk

1 tsp sugar

1 cup wholemeal flour

1½ cups high grade flour

1 tsp salt

50 grams butter

¼-½ cup linseeds (or use sunflower or pumpkin)

2 tblsp treacle or golden syrup

Topping ideas

¼ cup linseeds, oat flakes, oat bran, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or a mixture of these.

Method

1. Stir the yeast into the warm water and sugar and set aside for 15 minutes until frothy.

2. Put the flour, wholemeal flour and salt into a food processor and pulse to sift. Add the butter and process until rubbed in.

3. Add the treacle to the frothy yeast mixture and with the motor running, pour the liquid down the feed tube as fast as the flour can absorb it and process to a very soft dough. Add any extra water if required. The mixture should be moist. Quickly pulse in the linseeds.

4. Transfer the dough into a well-greased 20cm loaf tin. Sprinkle over one of the suggested topping ingredients. Cover with greased plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour in a warm place until the dough doubles in bulk. As a guide it should rise to be the same level as the top of the tin.

5. Preheat oven to 200ºC.

6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Remove from the oven and turn out immediately onto a cake rack to cool.

To Make By Hand

1. To Make By Hand Sponge the yeast as described in point 1. Add the treacle. Sift the flours and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and stir through the linseeds. Make a well in the centre and gradually pour in the frothy yeast mixture. Once most of the flour has been absorbed turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead well for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Continue from point 4

wildflower, Jul 16, 7:52am
Allison and Simon Holst have one in their Bread Book that's a full grain, no knead bread. Seeds, rolled oats, wholemeal flour, oil, salt, yeast, molasses or golden syrup and water. Really easy and full of goodness.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 7:59am
Sounds lovely.

bev00, Nov 10, 10:56am
some great ideas here

buzzy110, Nov 10, 8:50pm
I always make this one. It was posted here by pickles who got it from the net and altered it slightly. I have also altered it. I don't use milk so it is totally vegan. I make it with a sourdough starter but I have included a yeast option. It looks complicated but is one of the easiest breads to make and because it has a long proving time, has a delicious sour taste. In my case it takes about 40hours to prove and by the time it comes out it is very, very sour. I freeze it sliced so DH can have a piece of toast in the morning if he wants.

(Recipe in next post)

One more thing. I see that Lewis Road Creamery is producing a loaf called PREMINUM KIBBLED GRAIN BREAD. "It is fermented overnight to allow the kibbled grains to soften, which unlocks the whole grain benefits and aids digestion".

buzzy110, Nov 10, 9:04pm
VOGELS STYLE LOAF
Ingredients:
FLOURS
4 cups high grade bread flour (or 3 cup High Grade Flour & 1 cup Rye)
1 cup wholemeal flour
GRAINS ALTERNATE GRAINS
½ cup kibbled Wheat (Can use any other preferred grain instead)
¼ cup kibbled Rye (Just use measurements given)
¼ cup rolled Oats
2T Quinoa or Millet
2T Oat Bran or any other Bran
2T Gluten
SEEDS & SALT ALTERNATE SEEDS
½ cup Sunflower seeds Flax seeds
1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds Any other seed can be used as a substitute
3 Tbsp Chia seed
3 Tbsp Sesame seeds
3 teaspoons sea salt
YEAST MIX - 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast, not sure to rise.
ALTERNATE YEAST MIX - 1 batch of Sour Dough Starter
LIQUID
2 ¼ cups cold water - 3 cups Cold Water – Approx
OR
1 cup of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar
2 cups cold Water - Approx
Equipment
I use two loaf tins, 12cm x 21cm x 6cm and one smaller loaf tin
DIRECTIONS:
• Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
• Add most of the water and mix well. Add more water to make the dough to your chosen consistency. Recipe calls for a wet dough but I prefer to be able to work my dough so don't make it so wet.
OR - milk, vinegar and water mix
OR - Starter and water
• Mix well until a shaggy dough forms (I make mine so that it can be worked but still wet)
• Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place to rise. Needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough OR if you have formed it into a ball, should rise about half its size again
• Using a spatula if your dough is too wet to work, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself. No kneading necessary.
• Spoon the dough evenly into the tins OR place formed dough into tins (I don’t spoon anything. I make the dough so that it is sort of manageable and can put it into the tin)
• Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over both tins, so as it does not come in contact with the dough at all and leave to near double in size.
• Heat oven to 180 deg C and bake 45 to 55 minutes OR for 30mins at 220oC, tip loaf out of tin and continue cooking for 30mins at 200oC
(When you turn the oven on put a metal baking dish into the oven. Pour boiling water into the dish when you put your bread in. Bread likes a shot of steam when it goes into the oven. Take it out at the 30min mark)
• Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool

grouch, Nov 10, 9:47pm
No Knead Bread
1cup boiling water
1 pkt dried yeast (orange pkt is good)
a big squirt of honey
1 cup of milk ( I use water)

Dissolve honey in the boiling water, add cold milk, and sprinkle over dried yeast then stand for 10 mins and then stir very gently.

2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups of wholemeal flour
1 cup of mixed seeds or whatever you like. I put walnuts, sunflower, linseed, poppy and craisins
1 1/2 tsp salt

Pour yeast mix onto flour mix and stir in gently, looks fairly moist and may need a bit more flour but usually I dont add any more as its supposed to be very moist. Pour mix into a lined tin loaf and sprinkle with extra pumpkins seeds.

Put into cold oven and then heat up to 100c for 20 mins. Then turn heat up to 170 c for about 35 mins. Turn onto wire rack to cool immediately.

Its very filling. I usually slice up and keep in the freezer as I dont eat bread every day but am told it will last about 4 days. Its a lovely and easy recipe.

bev00, Nov 11, 10:01am
Thought Id share this recipe haven't tried it however I will as it seams much less work than some I've seen

Honey, Oat and Barley Bread

Cook time: 40 mins
Prep time: 60 mins
You get about 18 Slices

2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
2 teaspoons honey
350ml warm water
1 1/2 cups plain wholemeal flour
1 1/2 cups plain white flour
1 1/2 tablespoons barley bran
1 1/2 tablespoons oat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons rolled oats
4 tablespoons honey, extra
2 tablespoons oil

Place dry yeast in a medium bowl. Combine honey and warm water, gradually add to dry yeast and blend until smooth.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
Sift flours, brans, and salt into a large bowl. Add husks from sift.
Add oats.
Make a well in the centre of flour ingredients and add extra honey, oil and yeast mixture.
Mix to a soft dough, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth.
Shape into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 15-20 minutes or until well risen.
Punch down and knead again for 3-5 minutes or until smooth.
Place dough in a lightly oiled deep loaf tin. Cover with wrap and leave in a warm place until well risen and dough has doubled in size.
Brush loaf with a little soymilk and make slits in the top with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with a little extra flour and oats, if desired.
Bake in a moderately hot oven (210°C) for 35-40 minutes or until well browned and cooked through.
Stand bread in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

Quotetarshlove (497 ) 10:41 am, Thu 22 Sep #1

dskbl, Jul 6, 5:48pm
I use the no knead grainy bread recipe from foodlovers:

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/no-knead-bread.html

It is fantastic, seems to work with all sorts of substitutions too, including using spelt flour, and agave syrup instead of honey.