Pikelets at at cafes instead of pancakes,, bluurgh

Page 1 / 2
fifie, Mar 17, 1:16am
Sounds like the cafe's cook, good and bad out there go elsewhere.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 2:06am
been quite a few places, not just there, & they're all cooking pancakes like pikelets, spongey mix that goes all soggy with the maple syrup & the rest is dry & hard to swallow

laspaz, Mar 17, 2:36am
I guess it's good to have a cause to fight for. Why not just make your own if nothing measures up?

kay141, Mar 17, 2:49am
Why would you want to put maple syrup on pancakes anyway? They should be very thin and not soak up anything. Cafes these days use hotcakes and like the USA call them pancakes. Perhaps you should try something else to eat or make your own.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 4:00am
if they are hotcakes then they should advertise 'hotcakes' & not 'pancakes'. If I saw hotcakes on the menu I wouldn't order them, I see pancakes & do. And why should I try something else, I like pancakes. I would have thought people in the food industry would at least know the difference.
Do you suggest someone that goes out for a steak dinner to be happy when served a plate of mince?. its beef after all isn't it?

petal1955, Mar 17, 4:05am
Did you mean you want crepes. thin like. rather than the pikelet/pancake thing

whqqsh, Mar 17, 4:11am
nope, pancake is about halfway between in thickness & not a sponge mix like pikelets/hotcakes. sheesh guys, is it that hard, especially a recipes forum? No wonder the industry doesn't get the basics right either.

laspaz, Mar 17, 4:17am
By who's definition?

Just because kiwi's are confused about their terminology does not make it right.

You want crepes, not pancakes.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 4:37am
Its not me thats confused, Ive been to the States, had real pancakes there, many cafes used to serve close-ish examples over here. but lately theres been a shift to a stack of 3 small pikelet types with a far more spongey mix that much goes go really soggy & fall apart with the maple syrup soaking up (like a sponge, funny that!) leaving the rest dry . again, if someone wants to serve hotcakes or pikelets then thats fine, but they ain't pancakes, at least learn the difference & advertise it as such

laspaz, Mar 17, 4:43am
Yes but NZ does not do anything else properly in terms of international cuisine, so why start now, and why start with pancakes?

Most countries have their own variations on food. It's fairly normal.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 5:47am
Even McDonalds knows the difference between hotcakes & pancakes. & as for variations, nah, its totally different & its not a variation when hotcakes & pikelets are already here, it's just wrong & just because some trend (or trendy chef or programme) decides thats what they want doesn't make it right either

laspaz, Mar 17, 5:58am
So what is you plan going forward seen as you are so passionate about it? Hopefully you can put an end to this nonsense before someone's life is adversely effected in a significant way.

kay141, Mar 17, 6:30am
Probably start more threads. I've only seen 2 so far but I don't go into all the categories.

laspaz, Mar 17, 6:36am
I like how to OP linked this second thread to her first one to show us how serious she is about the situation. lol

kay141, Mar 17, 6:40am
Quite possibly. Such a serious matter.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 8:41am
at least Im passionate & not a sheep prepared to just accept very basic errors & business owners seem to accept due to ignorance or simply the need to follow along & serve misnamed or substandard food as long as it looks trendy.

sampa, Mar 17, 9:50am
http://www.shakespearesengland.co.uk/2012/02/21/when-the-pancake-bell-rings-we-are-free/

Pancakes go way back in history, some even say that even before they became associated with feasting and fasting it was a pagan thing celebrating the turn of winter to warmer weather where the shape of the 'pancake' represented a sun shape.

kay141, Mar 17, 7:00pm
They are something I would never order in a cafe nor would I assume business owners are ignorant but it's up to you. If you want, go for it.

laspaz, Mar 17, 7:08pm
Also, to be fair, cafes and restaurants produce what people want. If they make a version of pancakes and they don't sell, they will delete or change it. This process usually results in the customers getting what they like, and what is popular.

You can't please everyone though, and some people should just stay home if the pancakes are not up to scratch everywhere. I'd start to wonder if I had the problem at a certain point. Just saying.

cleggyboy, Mar 17, 8:33pm
This country is becoming far to Americanised, sick of the food being renamed, spelling being bastardised etc,etc. Next we will see graffiti scrawled over the top of our scones.

laspaz, Mar 17, 8:39pm
American scones could kill a man if thrown the wrong way, but American biscuits (plain scones) are a thing of beauty.

Let's not be scared of improvements, and having the grace and wisdom to take on board the better parts of other countries while rejecting the bad aspects.

kay141, Mar 17, 8:39pm
Exactly. Cafes are like all retailers, they stock what will sell. I'm sure we all have times, when we want to buy something which we can't find anywhere, I know I do.

cleggyboy, Mar 17, 10:07pm
Good old sammie or a filled roll has gone to make way for all this fancy rubbish and at great expense, nah would rather go home, make my own and at least if I get Dehli belly I can only blame myself.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 10:26pm
its all going the same way Im afraid, try ordering a 'medium' steak & watch as it bleeds all over your plate. & no, its not 'improvements' or local variations or 'twist' (stupid trendy term), its just some jumped up so called celeb chef does it on TV & everyone has to follow suit. Some things are just plain wrong & few people have the balls to say so

sarahb5, Mar 18, 6:05am
Pancakes aren't crepes, crepes aren't pancakes - to most people pancakes are slightly thicker than crepes which should be almost lacy in appearance. Pancake batter is flour, milk, eggs and salt, crepes use flour, milk, water, eggs and salt. Pancakes are traditionally served rolled up with sugar and lemon on Shrove Tuesday, crepes are generally bigger in diameter and served with a variety of sweet or savoury fillings, folded into quarters.