Help with Coffee Carael roulade

ruby19, Jun 19, 10:03pm
I am going to make 2 of these deserts for my husbands family dinner this weekend, now being a novice at cooking the roulade meringue part, can i cook 2 in the oven at the same time, as in will they cook ok ? should I set my oven to fan bake (not fan forced) or just leave as normal bake, just heat from the bottom, or I can set it to bake with heat from top and bottom. My oven is a fisher paykel one.

Here is the recipe, I have just made filling and YUM. just need to master the roulade part now !
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon malt vinegar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 tablespoon cornflour
Extra cocoa for dusting

Filling
300ml pottle thickened cream
1/2 cup caramel condensed milk
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder

Preheat oven to 165°C. Line a large baking tray with paper. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed and gradually add sugar a ¼ cup at a time until thick and glossy. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Sift over cocoa and cornflour and fold in.

Spread mixture on the baking tray in a rectangle about 28cm x 33cm. Bake 10 minutes then reduce oven to 150°C and bake a further 15-18 minutes or until puffed, pale golden and dry to the touch.

Cool for 5 minutes (meringue will deflate at this stage) then carefully flip over on to a cocoa-dusted sheet. Let cool completely.

Filling
Combine thickened cream, caramel milk and coffee powder. Spread over meringue then roll up, using the baking paper to help. Wrap roulade in foil and chill until serving – at least 2 hours or freeze for up to 2 weeks. (Thaw in fridge 30 minutes or at room temperature 15 minutes.) Garnish with a drizzle of melted chocolate, a dusting of cocoa or some chocolate-coated coffee beans.

Serves 8-10

- See more at: http://nzhouseandgarden.co.nz/coffee-caramel-cream-roulade/#sthash.uyQatwhe.dpuf

agedbag, Jun 20, 11:06am
Oooh yum! I will have to try this.

ruby19, May 13, 10:18am
Agedbag I did not have much luck with this recipe, now I admit I am a complete novice when it comes to meringue style dishes, but I could not get my egg whites to a stiff consistency. the filling was divine!