Help with chilli's

joanjett, Jan 20, 11:14am
My husband has grown a lot of chilli's . but we do not know the best way to keep them . and we want them to keep all there hotness . Does anybody have any Ideas please :-)

twindizzy, Jan 20, 6:32pm
Pickled
Dried
Freeze
Relish/jam/hot sauce

katalin2, Jan 20, 11:37pm
Thread them from the stalks vertically and hang them in the pantry to dry and use during the year. They look quite pretty, especially if you have some red ones as well.

mustu, Jan 21, 12:55am
This is a great way to preserve your chillies for the rest of the year and beyond. It keeps a great flavour. Use in curries, soups, pastas, or as a sauce to add to anything at all!

4 handsful of hot chillies
1 red capsicum
2 lge onions
a head of garlic
a pinch of powdered cloves
2 cups sugar (I usually use brown sugar)

Cut stalks off peppers, peel onions etc and chop coarsely, then use wizz or blender to chop more finely. Add a little vinegar to help it move if needed. Put into heavy pan and bring to boil. Once at boiling point add sugar. Simmer till slightly thickened. Bottle into hot sterilised bottles or jars.

mustu, Jan 21, 1:03am
I make loads of these every year and serve them sliced or whole with salads and meat platters. Also good for any recipe that calls for chillies.

Preserved Chillies

red or green chillies
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cider vinegar

Wash chillies and pat dryw ith paper towels. Using a fine metal skwere or coarse needle make a hole in the top and bottom of each chilli. This enables the preserving solution to drain into the chillies. Bring water, sugar and vinegar to the boil and simmer 5 mins. Pack the chillies into hot, clean dry jars. Pour vinegar solution over the chillies to cover them completely. Seal jars with recycled screw tops. Preserved chillies keep for well over a year. I've used some that were 3 years old and they were fantastic!

pickles7, Jan 21, 2:00am
Chili sauce. hot

2 cups of white vinegar
2 teaspoons of sea salt
100 grams of halved Habanero, Red Savina, chili
I simmered them until the chili were soft, and the liquid reduced by half, there abouts
I poured all into a narrow necked glass jug and used the stick blender to break down all the seeds, etc
1 and 1/4 cups of sauce
Keep in the fridge

pickles7, Jan 21, 2:06am
Chili jam
Crafted by Myself

1 kg of ripe tomato's
200 grams of hot chillies
300 grams of capsicums
800 grams of plums
1/3 cup of water

Put onto the stove to simmer and cook
Then add
4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp mace
2 tsp gr all spice
1 tsp gr. ginger

once cooked mouli, to remove the seeds etc.,
put the pulp back into the pot, bring back to the boil
Then add
800 grams of white sugar, boil 10 minutes.
Pour into bottles, cork, when cold.
This is very sweet, it is extremely hot .

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:41am

bev00, Jun 8, 11:00am
Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 cup fresh red chillies
8 small cloves garlic
2 inches ginger
2 cider vinegar
2.5 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
Zap chilli, ginger, garlic in whiz.
Add vinegar salt & sugar. Boil til thick.
I usually add a grated apple so that it thickens with out having to boil for so long.Been making this for many years

niffer13 (88 88 positive feedback) 8:54 pm, Sat 7 Jun #4

wachael1, Jun 9, 12:25am
Oops, old thread!

wachael1, Jun 11, 11:18am
Just put them whole in a snaplock bag in the freezer - they keep perfectly! I always chop them up while they are still frozen as they are a bit soft when defrosted.