Anybody have a good no fail pastry pie recipe

purpleangel11, May 10, 3:50am
Looking for a good pastry recipe flaky or savoury for a meat pie. Tried a couple but came out thick & hard :-]

gardie, May 10, 5:56pm
I hope these few tips help you.
You will get a flakier pastry if you process the flour and butter so that you can still see little pieces of butter in it.
If doing by hand, freeze the butter before hand and grate it in then give a quick rub with your finger tips. Use ice cold water to mix. The cooler it stays while making, the better the pastry.
Once water is added, do not overprocess - just a few quick pulses then see if you can squeeze the mix together by hand - if so this is done enough.
When doing this bit by hand, use a knife to mix the water in so it is not overbeating. Pull altogether by hand.
Refrigeration is very necessary.
If you are using a filling that requires plenty of cooking (raw apples) there is no need to prebake the pastry or prick the bottom of the pastry. Also, do not use glass dishes to bake - soggy pastry.

badams1, May 10, 7:38pm
Some really good advice given here. I avoid making pastry, but I reconne ,I will give it another go, using this recipe . cheers and many thanks. x

peterlap1, May 10, 8:54pm
My wife swears by Maggie Beer's sour cream pastry recipe, she says it's easy to make and can be used for sweet and savoury.

bev00, May 11, 11:08am
great ideas

pickles7, May 11, 9:17pm
Sour cream Pastry.

chop in a blender
200g grams of cubed butter well chilled
2 cups of plain flour
pulse in
125 ml sour cream
until it clumps together

Put the dough into a plastic bag and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Roll out and use for any pie.

There is a very similar recipe using cream cheese.

pickles7, May 11, 9:20pm
Cream cheese Pastry.

chop in a blender
100 grams of cubed butter well chilled
2 cups of plain flour
pulse in
250 grams of chilled cream cheese
until it clumps together

Put the dough into a plastic bag and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Roll out and use for any pie.

bev00, May 13, 9:56am
perfecting pastry .

village.green, May 13, 10:01am
I always make my own pastry and follow the advice above as in little handling and refrigerating it. Even my 14 year old daughter has mastered the Edmonds rich shortcrust pastry recipe, all done by hand. I prefer to do it in food processor as I don't have cold hands!

maynard9, May 13, 9:33pm
Are you able to share the recipe please

peterlap1, May 14, 10:39pm
My wife said to refer to Post #7 above, or go to Maggie Beer's website , it's on there.

cleggyboy, May 14, 10:49pm
If people would like to add a bit of difference to a sweet pastry, add a bit of custard powder, it works a treat especially apple pies.

maynard9, May 15, 8:13am
Fab thanks - checked out her website - some lovely recipes - have joined the email mailings

bev00, Mar 12, 6:04pm