Budget Butter $1.98 at Paknsave

kaddiew, Jul 23, 11:47pm
Probably not for the purists, and short dated (best before 14 August 2015), but I find it OK, and fine for baking.

buzzy110, Jul 24, 12:02am
Nothing wrong with budget butter. It is the same as all other butter. I didn't see it at my P-n-S so maybe it is exclusive to your area. I'd buy heaps at that price and store it in the freezer where I always store my butter. Current cheapest at mine is $3.49 X 500g.

kaddiew, Jul 24, 2:14am
Yes, I did freeze some - too good to miss at that price! Maybe it was just at my local Kapiti Paknsave.

snapperheadrkp, Jul 24, 5:42am
Purchased a Budget butter (it was the cheapest @ $2.99 at our local P&S last week. It has a tainted taste (never checked the best before date before buying).Having to use Margarine on toast at present, but will use the Budget butter up in baking. My policy these days is - If the price is super cheap, buy one, try it, and if OK go back and buy more. Classic example - A couple of weeks ago Reduced to Clear had Spaghetti and Baked Beans from Italy at about 60 cents. Wife was passing RTC so purchased one of each. If RTC paid more than 10 cents for these, they were robbed (as we were) the tins were 90% orange water

uli, Jul 24, 5:56am
Pak'n'Saves are privately owned unlike Countdown which is an Australian chain.

So they often do their local specials in addition to the nationwide Pak'n'Save specials.

malcovy, Jul 24, 6:33am
I have never had a bad batch of budget butter, probably because the turnaround is so fast.

kay141, Jul 24, 7:06am
Were they full sized blocks? They last time I saw butter for under $2 per block, a closer look showed they were only 250g.

awoftam, Jul 24, 7:29am
Almost. Pak n Save are franchised by Foodstuffs, as are New World stores. Whatever they do they d within the strict franchisee agreements. A great business to be in - not many poor supermarket owners.

kay34, Jul 24, 7:57am
AT $2 im going to check tomorrow, do alot of baking, and cheapest i can get it is $3.89(pams)

kaddiew, Jul 24, 8:08am
Yes, they are full sized 500gm blocks, and I've never had a problem with the taste of Budget butter.

However, as other posters have now said, this could be just a local special in my area. If anyone is going to travel any distance just to get this special, I suggest phoning your Paknsave first.

wheelmann, Jul 24, 10:03am
Some butters list water as an ingredient, especially the cheaper ones.

beaker59, Jul 24, 11:48am
Well yes because all butter is an emulsion of water in fat as opposed to say cream which is an emulsion of fat in water. To be butter it must contain water.

kaddiew, Jul 24, 8:22pm
Yes, they do. Can I tell the difference in my baking, between butter labelled as containing water, and butter not labelled as containing water? NOPE.

buzzy110, Jul 24, 10:33pm
Exactly. I used to make butter so know that it has to be "washed" it it comes covered in whey residue which you definitely do not want. It is impossible to get rid of the water 100%. All butter will have water in it whether it is listed or not. I think there are regulations which say that if an ingredient is less than a certain amount per serve it does not have to be listed.

kaddiew, Jul 28, 11:36pm
That same short dated butter (BB 14 Aug) is now part of the Paknsave $5 week - 2 for $5.

awoftam, Jul 29, 7:44am
That's because butter contains water - around 15%, from memory. You will notice a difference if the content is say 20% (which is really high) so just pays to be aware of this when buying.

propagator, Jul 31, 2:01am
that is so true> I will only buy butter that lists cream and salt as the ingredients.

kaddiew, Jul 31, 4:20am
Is the actual water % listed on butter labels? Don't think I've ever seen that.

davidt4, Jul 31, 5:03am
No, the ingredients are usually listed as cream, salt and culture if it is used. The fat content of butter is around 80 - 82% and the rest of it is water, salt and milk solids.

awoftam, Jan 31, 11:53pm
Not that I have seen, I look for milk fat content.