Recipes with dessert apples?

Does anyone have a good way to use up dessert apples? We have a couple of young braeburn and royal gala trees, and they've produced lots of small apples - not really big and sweet enough to enjoy eating by themselves but probably too sweet to cook in a pie. (Next year I'll cull most of the unripe apples so the trees will put more energy into fewer apples).

Anyone have some good ways to cook them up?

Chef_ericaandthomas, Mar 19, 4:44 pm

They would be fine for pies, no need for sugar. I often use dessert apples for pies if they are cheaper than pie apples. They are also good lightly stewed and used as topping for breakfast cereals & porridge. Use in muffins, make apple cake, filling for pancakes, make jams, jellies, chutney.

Chef_nauru, Mar 19, 7:27 pm

To get larger fruit, keep your trees fertilised and well watered - you'll notice the difference.

Chef_floralsun, Mar 19, 11:36 pm

I usually buy Braeburn as cooking apples, because while just sweet enough to eat raw, they're also quite tart, and perfect for cooking as poster #2 suggests.

Chef_kaddiew, Mar 20, 9:06 am

Yes I agree, I have been cooking royal gala and freezing while they are cheap. They are lovely naturally sweet. I have to make apple shortcake this weekend and I will use them for that too.

Chef_eljayv, Mar 20, 9:15 am

Edmonds fruit sponge recipe, in hot pudd section

Chef_rainrain1, Mar 20, 6:02 pm

I've made some apple pies for the freezer and will cook up some more pie filing for later. I made some Apple & Grape jam today too, made in my breadmaker from Gala apples and Grapejuice. Our grapevine has been laden this year so I have spent a few afternoons juicing and I now have a good supply of grape juice in the freezer for later use.

Chef_nauru, Mar 20, 7:20 pm

Just chop them up, put in a cake tin and top with the classic victoria sandwich mix (4/4/4/2) and bake for longer. Makes a fruit sponge. Easy.

Chef_gaspodetwd, Dec 11, 6:42 am

Share this thread