Christmas Edibles to Make as Presents

Page 1 / 2
uli, Oct 22, 9:37pm
One year I made pickled quail eggs in pretty jars, which was very well received.

nauru, Oct 24, 2:52am
I've never tried pickling quail eggs but I used to pickle hen eggs regularly, they were always a popular bar snack in pubs in the UK. May just have to get pickling again, that will please my son.

reebree, Nov 2, 10:21pm
We make a chocolate fudge that uses a packet of round wine biscuits. Is to DIE for!

nauru, Nov 3, 3:26am
Reebree, would you share your recipe pls?

pam.delilah, Nov 3, 3:42am
Biscuit Fudge
10 tbsps butter,
1/2 cup sugar,
1 tbsp cocoa,
1 egg(beaten),
1/2 tsp vanilla essence,
2 pkts malt or wine biscuits
Heat together butter, sugar and cocoa until well blended.
Remove from heat and add egg and vanilla, mix well. Pour over the top of coarsely crushed biscuits and mix well.
Press into tin and refrigerate.
This fudge is soft and creamy and as long as you keep the biscuits coarse, you’ll have a soft crunchy fudge
can add dried fruit to mixture

reebree, Nov 3, 6:40pm
Chocolate fudge

250g butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 packet round wine biscuits (roughly crushed using rolling pin)
2 tbsp cocoa

Mix altogether, press into tin and place in freezer until set. So bad for you, but so yum! :p

sally63, Nov 3, 8:16pm
If you have a lemon tree, make Limoncello.Yum! And very alcoholic.It needs to steep for a few weeks. Get a fancy bottle and label it and afterwards keep one small slice in the top for aesthetic reasons.

Preserved lemons in salt are a nice gift too. They can be used all year round in Middle Eastern recipes and look lovely packed well in a nice jar

nauru, Nov 4, 6:19am
Thanks for that reebree, will definitely give it a go, sound yum.

nauru, Nov 4, 6:21am
Sally, do you have a recipe to share for the limoncello, would love to try it as I have a tree laden with fruit? .

rovertniloc, Nov 12, 1:59am
Annabel langbein had a good one in her book 'Simple pleasures' Google it, I made it many times and the family loved it. Dont be tempted to use a cheaper vodka tho.

bluetigerrr, Nov 16, 10:11pm
Hi - does anyone have any particular things they make to give away as presents for Christmas? I have some jars already so could make anything.

rchelley, Nov 16, 10:26pm
I make lots of different things - marmalade, christmas cakes, 5 spice ginger cookies, chocolate covered glace ginger, fudge, marshmallow toadstools, a salted caramel slice. I can track down recipes if you need them.

buzzy110, Nov 16, 10:50pm
Chocolate truffles, shortbread, Xmas mince pies, preserved lemons.

olwen, Nov 16, 10:58pm
I'd like the recipe for the 5 spice cookies, and the salted caramel slice.

flier3, Nov 16, 11:11pm
I make lots of small decorated Xmas cakes in cellophane - they look really pretty.

rchelley, Nov 16, 11:31pm
Caramel Slice
http://www.foodshow.co.nz/home/recipes/s/salty-caramel-and-chocolate-crackers.aspx

Ginger Cookies
Ingredients 21/2 cups (375g) flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper 125g unsalted butter, cubed 1 packed cup (175g) soft brown sugar 4 tablespoons golden syrup 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 cup (150g) crystallised ginger
Method Sift the flour, baking soda and spices into a bowl then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then the golden syrup, egg and crystallised ginger and mix to a dough.

Shape the dough into a squared-off log of about 25cm x 6cm. You can carefully flatten 1 edge diagonally for a slanting effect. Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour until firm.Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper. Unwrap the dough and carefully cut off 5mm thick slices. Place on the prepared tray and bake for 12 minutes until golden. Makes around 42

flier3, Nov 16, 11:57pm
If you have jars, how about strawberry jam - they are cheap at that time of year. I would love some thanks :).

roseann48, Nov 17, 12:12am
Easy to make - I have made these for years & always appreciated. Push an ice block stick into a marshmallow. Dip 1/2 marshmallow into melted chocolate. When set wrap in cellophane & add note to use as coffee or hot chocolate stirrers. After dipping in choc can roll in choc chips if desired. So easy for children to make with supervision near the hot choc.

teddy147, Nov 17, 4:57am
thankyou I will be making these this year, what a great idea.

roseann48, Nov 17, 7:54am
Easy truffles. Melt 125grms butter, cool. Add 1 tblspn cocoa, 1 cup coconut, 1 cup icing sugar, 1 cup mixed fruit or sultanas, vanilla, rum or brandy essence. Mix well. Roll into balls & roll in coconut or choc chips or place in frig to harden then dip in melted choc. Store in frig & when needed wrap in cellophane & decorate with ribbon. Easy for children to make also.

roseann48, Nov 17, 8:03am
Just thought of another that is always popular. Chocolate dip or sauce. Into a saucepan place 1/2 packet of kremelta, 1/2 cup cocoa & 1 cup icing sugar Whisk until smooth. Cool. Pour into glass jars. Decorate jar as you wish & add note - When required stand jar in hot water to melt, use as a sauce or chocolate dip for icecream etc.

kaddiew, Nov 17, 7:55pm
Great idea. : ) What do you use to cut out uniformly sized 'buttons'?

kaddiew, Nov 17, 10:35pm
Why didn't I think of that! Was picturing the dough rolled out and small circles stamped out. :)

rarogal, Nov 19, 3:38am
Last year I made a wonderful slice that was made with mini marshmallows, red and green jelly beans, iced with white choc and drizzled with red and green icing. I have mislaid the recipe and am so annoyed, everyone loved it!

rarogal, Nov 19, 3:40am
Great idea!