Anyone heard of vegan bacon?

Page 1 / 3
white_elephant, Sep 6, 2:38am
I'd like to give it a try.

ruby2shoes, Sep 6, 4:37am
yes I buy it from the supermarket. Yum yum pigs bum! Meat eating bro walked in the house after I cooked some and thought it smelt like bacon.

uli, Sep 6, 5:19am
Yes I have.
Ingredients: isolated soy protein, vegetable oils, salt, starch, water, soy sauce, sugar, vegetarian seasonings.
A highly processed product avaialble here: http://www.vegetarianchristchurch.org.nz/shopping/shop/vegan-baconham-slices/ But often out of stock. Or you can make mock bacon bits (which by the way sound much healthier than the above):
Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (the key is to get large flakes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Sea salt to taste
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on medium-low. Add the coconut, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt. Fry for about 4-8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the flakes crisp up and turn brown. Voila! Instant bacon bits.
For even more of a bacon-like taste, you can add in liquid smoke or spices of your choice like smoked paprika!

Have a look here:
http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/08/4ingredient-vegan-bacon/

Good luck!

white_elephant, Sep 6, 6:27am
Thank you, I'm really keen to give it a go.

frances1266, Sep 6, 6:29am
Miyoko Schinner has a great tofu bacon recipe. Is quick and easy and can be soft or crunchy bacon. Have you gone vegan Uli, miracles can happen!
Both the supermarket version and Miyoko's taste like bacon so why wouldn't you want to prevent the horrible cruelty that the poor little pigs go through when you can have the same taste but cruelty free.

dete, Sep 6, 8:05am
This recipe for vegan bacon was on National radio on Wednesday. Sounds alright.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/collections/recipes/little-bird-coco-bacon

awoftam, Sep 6, 8:31am
Why do people who are vegan want to eat something that tastes like meat?

frances1266, Sep 6, 6:48pm
Because they want the flavour but dont want a part in the cruelty involved with eating bacon or any other meat,

ruby2shoes, Sep 6, 6:59pm
for goodness sake, didn't you see the movie "Babe"? Is your heart made of stone, awoftam?

lythande1, Sep 6, 7:05pm
Really? And people think real bacon is not healthy? I'd rather eat the real thing than sugar and all that.

white_elephant, Sep 6, 7:15pm
Apart from the cruelty issues bacon is full of chemicals.

white_elephant, Sep 6, 9:11pm
I couldn't find flaked coconut at paknsav, where should I be looking for it?

twelve12, Sep 6, 11:32pm

uli, Sep 6, 11:44pm
Bin Inn has it.
As have most organic shops.

uli, Sep 6, 11:54pm
No I have not gone vegan - in fact the next pig is lined up for bacon now as the new smoker works now perfectly.

The pigs are all happily munching grass, veges and all sorts of great citrus at this time of year.

The only cruel thing that happens to them is when they wear down their teeth. They are then in for a very slow and cruel death by starvation which even feeding them separately from the others with porridge type foods will not prevent. I have been there several times and even with getting the vet out - it is a very slow and cruel death.
This is what would also happen to them in nature of course.

On the other hand if I give them 2 or 3 years of happy family life here, they have houses to hide in when it rains, lots of grass to play in, eat and turf up if they feel like it and.

Then they get shot while they happily munch their favourite food, I personally think that end might be more "humane" than a slow and painful starvation (and in the wild then being hunted down by a predator who will take the slowest and sickest out first).

I am not saying this to try and convert you - just to give you a bit more info on the realities of life out there. Many vegans and vegetarians do not realize that in the wild - nothing survives. All grazing animals get eaten by predators as soon as they get old and sick.

uli, Sep 6, 11:59pm
I have addressed the "cruelty issue" above, so read that.

As to the "chemicals" - there are no chemicals in my bacon apart from salt and wood smoke (which is a mix of lots of chemicals).

However the vegan bacon has liquid smoke added to it - so has all the same chemicals PLUS all the chemicals that are in and on the soy beans it is made from, plus all sorts of additives to make the texture and flavour similar to bacon.

If you want to avoid killing a pig and want something similar in taste use the recipe I gave above with the coconut flakes and the liquid smoke.

awoftam, Sep 7, 4:22am
Nope, its not, and I love bacon. Had a pile of it today - free range, along with the eggs.

carter19, Sep 10, 2:27am
45% salt cant be good for anyone. Renal dietitian recommends food with 200mg sodium per 100 gm or less.

frances1266, Sep 10, 7:40am
Miyoko Schinner's tofu bacon is far nicer than coconut bacon.

awoftam, Sep 10, 8:28am
Pork bacon is the bestest

beaker59, Sep 11, 1:14am
So good even vegans want to synthesis it.

pickles7, Sep 11, 1:20am
heaps on you tube, even made using aubergine .

uli, Sep 11, 1:21am
Aubergine bacon?
Now I am interested .

daarhn, Sep 11, 2:54am
I'm mean really, come on. any true non flesh eater and or animal products would just laugh. There are Millions of beautiful nutritious vegetarian and vegan dishes. This is just the industry cashing in on the flexatarians.

kaddiew, Sep 11, 3:44am
I see it's also referred to as Fakon.