Cooking yams

Page 1 / 2
..james.., Jun 12, 7:53am
Good evening, Ive been given a big bucket load of yams. Other night I roasted some but wonder who has a more imaginative way of cooking them? I dont have a microwave. Tonight Im having a vegetarian dinner with . yams , somehow. any ideas would be appreciated.

samanya, Jun 12, 8:12am
I like them barely cooked . steamed/boiled with a dab of honey & finely chopped fresh ginger added at the end.

arabelle, Jun 12, 9:49am
wrap in either ham or bacon and roast. very yummy for finger food or side vege

bev00, Jul 16, 11:10am
SWEET AND SOUR YAMS
500g yams
salt
2 tbsp each of butter and honey
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp vinegar

Boil the yams in salted water until tender. Drain.
Melt the butter in a fry pan and saute the yams. Add the honey and ginger, and cook for 2 minutes more, then add the vinegar and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Serve with meat or fish.
Serves 6.

beaker59, Jul 17, 12:51am
I cut them into fine sticks then add to stirfry.

lilyfield, Jul 17, 1:08am
Lovely. crispy raw in salads

cookessentials, Jul 17, 2:13am
I never used to like them as a child, yet now, I love them lightly steamed with a little seasoning and butter with a little grated lemon zest or roasted.

kay141, Jul 17, 2:24am
I slice them fairly thinly, dot with butter, a good grind of black pepper and microwave them in a covered dish.

southerngurl, Jul 17, 7:57am
i fry them in a little butter with some potato. the brown nicely and taste yum!

motorbo, Jul 17, 10:24am
yams are about the only vege . ok taro is another. that I do not like and I luv Brussel sprouts and broad beans

vonkrum, Jul 18, 3:49am
my sister in law cooks them and then puts some maple syrup to cook them in for the last bit till nice and brown and caramalized.

cookessentials, Jul 18, 5:05am
Any difference in flavour between the red and the yellow?

arabelle, Jul 18, 10:31am
yellow are really sweet

kiwilion, Jul 18, 10:45am
mmm Thats a nice idea, will give that a go sometime.

2young1, Jul 18, 11:07pm
yams are yum

arabelle, Jul 19, 10:53am

cookessentials, Jul 30, 10:00pm
Bumping up for someone asking about cooking yams.

bev00, Jul 31, 10:49am
roast yams in olive oil till soft when tested

doley, Aug 1, 9:08am
Cook whole in the microwave with butter and brown sugar. Very yummy!

doley, Aug 1, 9:09am

korbo, Aug 7, 9:28am
love cold roasted yams in a sandwich the day after the roast.
are they a south island grown food?

samanya, Aug 7, 9:32am
[quote=korbo
are they a south island grown food?[/quote]
probably, I have a good little crop, little yams but one of the winter staples.

dete, Aug 9, 3:35am
I grow them in Whanganui - they like sandy soil. I use them in roast vege salads, love them in my frittata along with any other in season veg from the garden and also use them in gratin type dishes using a mix of potato and yam. Yum!

annies3, Aug 9, 4:35am
We love yams here and grow a good crop, use any way you can imagine, nice in vege soup, roasted, add to casserole or stews, stir fry, they keep well in the fridge and also freeze well.

samanya, Aug 9, 6:47am
annies3, how do you prepare them for freezing? Wash, bung them in the freezer, or is there more to it than that?
I have a little plot which is difficult to find since the first hard frost & the foliage completely disappeared, hence I scrabble around getting a few for dinner . wonderful vege, huh?